Tutoring (1 Viewer)

Skeeta

HSC
who is or was a tutor. What were ur marks like?

Did you have to do any training?

Did you find your own people or did you go through a tutoring company such as Action Coaching.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
I've been tutoring since the holidays started after the end of HSC exams. I got a UAI of 98 with 4 band 6's so it looks decent when telling potential students lol. Im really opposed to tuoring companies because there are ALOT of dodgy ones out there. My bro did about 10 hrs worth and they never paid him. Alot of the recuiting "HSC students and undergrads" look really dodgy. Some of the websites have blank pages for "payment claims". I joined one advertised in my local paper to find out more (never planning to actually tutor) and this girl called me back from her mobile and the place didnt even sound real. So, all ym student I found on my own. I dont earn much (a little under $100/week) but once uni starts, it will be a convenient "job" because of few hrs, flexibility, no physical strain from standing or packing, serving customers and the money is enough to pull me through each week. I need to keep a close eye on my marks once uni starts as well because Im aiming for first yr transfer and maybe honours too, so time to study and concentrate on classwork is important.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
i personally think it's a high stress job because you might find yourself worrying about how your students are performing and how you can make them perform better

em_516

bludging..
HSC
iambored said:
i personally think it's a high stress job because you might find yourself worrying about how your students are performing and how you can make them perform better
yeh..or vice versa..like you worry so much about your own uni marks that you can't help the kid to your full potential..

i wouldn't do it..but i'm lazy..heh and i've forgotten everything..i don't really want to remember year 12 lol

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
iambored said:
That's true but no job is without its problems lol

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
yeah true but i prefer to serve at a checkout for a few hours rather than tutor, each to their own, it's something to consider

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
the main reason why I prefer tutoring is because it isnt tiring and won't exhaust me like regular customer service type jobs. I've worked in retail before and I was always so tired from long shifts.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
i was told anywhere from $15 to $25 so i did $20. i hope the amount was ok! what about other people?

Skeeta

HSC
i had a tutor through a company and it was like $17.35 an hour or somethin stupid so i just used to give her $20

fine ambiguity

almost there
HSC
I charge $20/hour. It's about the best-paid job going around for school students :D

It's a bit hard to find people initially, it's a bonus if your parents/friends have connections (eg. my mum is a TAFE teacher, and she gets a lot of calls for tutoring, so she passes some onto me) and little brothers/sisters of friends are a good start! I've found that now I tutor a couple of people, they tell other people etc -- I get inundated with calls around exam times, but that's also 'cos I live in a bit of a rural area so not as many people available...

I haven't done any training, and I haven't done the HSC!! I'm doing 4 unit this year and I love using my marks from 2 unit exams -- "My last exam mark was 98%..."

Edit: This is all maths by the way, I'd be wary of others... subjective subjects (haha) are harder to teach.

Ranger Stacie

hollaback girl
HSC
I did tutoring for ace tutoring last year at around $18 hour, and i only got 80 for a uai. but i do teaching at uni

sugaryblue

Living on deficit
HSC
i did tutoring last year when i was desperate to earn money and could not yet find a part time job.

my UAI was in the high 90's but it didn't seem to matter much if you go through organisation like Action Coaching (but you have to pay insurance fees, etc and also they don't give you a lot of students and hardly do follow up = poor poor organisations that's there to scamp money from you)

There was no training whatsoever, and they just let you do whatever. and apparently it's quite a rip off as well (like your first lesson of 1 and a half hour go to them for each new student). and besides, you get kinda sick of it after a while. even though i like teaching, tutoring would probably be something that i would do if i really need to.

make sure you are prepared though. seriously i found that the amount of effort i've put in outside the tutoring hours definitely would make that $18/hr a little bit too less!

alien

HSC
i'm thinking about tutoring, like for chem and bio, i got band 6 in those subjects and i was the only student to get band 6 in any science subject at my school, uai of 91.8. so i was all happy cos i have to go to school for some recognition thing and i was going to talk to the yr 11s and 12s to see if any needed tutoring.... ANYWAY i just found out from my sis that my old teacher told all the chem students not to get and undergrad to be their tutor. WHY? that's so dumb! she just took away my clientele! grrr. most tutors are undergrads anyway. so i'm going to pay her a nice visit when i go back for that recognition thing... :mad:

flipsyde

Shutup!...that's why
HSC
I tutor at the moment.. Umm only one student but Id like a few more... I dont want a lot cos I dont wanna effect my own studies.. this way I can get a job and work the hours that I want.. and I can only afford maybe 5-6hrs a week and no job wants to hir someone for those hours. Ive also had a waitressing job and it just tires me out so much.

I charge $20 and hour I hope to get at least 5 students then Ill have $100 comming in a week.... which will disappear fast with travel expenses and fees etc but yeah....

kheir

HSC
i actually tutor for 18 dollars an hour wiv action coaching and 15 bux privately if ur near my house, i got 98.6 for uai i tutor 2u math bio, phys n chem but i got realy high marx in all of um

jang

is not my real name
HSC
yeh i wish i had a real job..
but im tutoring some1 for 3 hours a week for 100 bux... but i gotta pay a toll for the harbour tunnel.. n petrol money.... basically bitch to get there/come back.... bahhhh wish i lived in the city.
the flexible thing about tutor isnt always so good when the kid's constantly changing the tutor times -_-''
umm i got 99.95... cant seem to get ne students from boredofstudies tho (titeasses)

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
jang said:
umm i got 99.95... cant seem to get ne students from boredofstudies tho (titeasses)
wow, looks like you'll be getting an influx of students from that comment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)