Tutoring required for band 6? (1 Viewer)

plutonium-238

HSC
Do you really need tutoring for Mathematics Extension 1 in order to achieve a high band 6 mark and is tutoring worth it? Is there any other way to get a high band 6 mark?

ocatal

HSC
Of course you can achieve an E4 without tutoring.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Absolutely not. Don't be fooled into thinking (maybe through tutoring advertisement of results that tutoring automatically means you get a band 6/E4). But whether you want to go tutoring or not is completely up to you.

A good approach to achieving an E4 is through understanding the material well and knowing why certain things happen. Another important way of learning is to ask questions and try sussing things for yourself before asking questions.

plutonium-238

HSC
I believe that tutoring is a complete waste of time as the information that is learnt at school should be enough for undertaking the HSC exam. Without tutoring, you can have the ability to become more independent, which is important for the future. Also, thanks for the suggestions; they're really helpful because I have been worrying about whether I should go math tutoring.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
I believe that tutoring is a complete waste of time as the information that is learnt at school should be enough for undertaking the HSC exam. Without tutoring, you can have the ability to become more independent, which is important for the future. Also, thanks for the suggestions; they're really helpful because I have been worrying about whether I should go math tutoring.
There are cases when the teacher may not be competent and hence tutoring may assist as a supplement to school.

But the bolded contradicts to what you are asking though.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
1) Is tutoring worth it?-ask yourself these questions-
-Have you had maths tutoring of any kind before and have you find it to be helpful?
-If you haven't had tutoring, do you have friends who have had maths tutoring-and in this instance, do they recommend it and has their results improved significantly as a result of tutoring?
-How much time are you willing to devote to maths extension one to get a band 6 and do you think tutoring will decrease your study time or increase it-i.e. by increasing your work load(also consider the travel time to and fro the tutoring centre)
-Do you have enough self-discipline to work by yourself for this subject consistently putting hard effort in or do you need an environment/motivation to keep working hard?

2)Is there any other way to get a high band 6 mark?
Yes, there is one other way-that is you working hard by
-doing the homework allocated by the teacher, understand concepts taught by the teacher and how concepts interrelate, ask the teacher if you don't understand anything immediately
-find practice past HSC questions and trial problems to practice upon as soon as you understand concepts, completed a substantial amount of textbook practice
-Always consider different approaches to the same problem, and imagine how different topics can be interrelated into the same question-anticipating this synthesise is a critical component to being prepared for the hardest problem in the exam
-Circle any questions you don't understand or got wrong-go back to re-do them as exam preparation until you get it right, ask the teacher if you don't understand anything-
-repeat the above process as many times as possible throughout the year (this also includes your 'school holidays)
-And ta, dah, by the end of this process-you should be likely to get a band 6 (E4)-depending on how much time you spent practicing problems and how closely you have followed the above process(remember, you can't study for maths the night before, you have to practice the skills over a long period of time, it is literally the only subject where rote learning will not get you ANYWHERE)

Best of luck for this year-study hard, try your best-be consistent and you will achieve your goal:) Hoped this helps and I have faith you can achieve a band 6 without tutoring if you have enough self-discipline, but if you think you need tutoring-then try it-do what works best for you:)

panda15

Alligator Navigator
HSC
Definitely not. There are students that don't get tutoring at all who will get 100 for MX1, so an E4 is a very realistic goal.
As someone who didn't get tutoring at all, my advice is to just do as many questions as possible, primarily from past papers as well as textbooks. The more exposure you have to different types of questions reduces the chance of a question you haven't seen before coming up in the exam.

v1

HSC
Do you really need tutoring for Mathematics Extension 1 in order to achieve a high band 6 mark and is tutoring worth it? Is there any other way to get a high band 6 mark?
no.
tutoring is worth it if you think its worth it.
understanding + past papers is what is needed for a high band 6.

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
no.
tutoring is worth it if you think its worth it.
understanding + past papers is what is needed for a high band 6.
I'd go as far to say only understanding is required.

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
No, tutoring for MX1 doesn't actually guarantee a E4. Only go to tutoring if you're really struggling with the basic concepts or if you want to get ahead.

You can achieve B6 for any subject without tutoring, tbh.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
Who? And why?
op, some people in my school that receive tutoring in english are still ranked at the bottom, whereas I have never received tutoring and am ranked 16th at my school. mind you, the person ranked 1st in maths at my school does get tutoring but the person ranked 2nd (me) doesn't tutoring, but we will still both end up with B6/E4's

plutonium-238

HSC
1) Is tutoring worth it?-ask yourself these questions-
-Have you had maths tutoring of any kind before and have you find it to be helpful?
-If you haven't had tutoring, do you have friends who have had maths tutoring-and in this instance, do they recommend it and has their results improved significantly as a result of tutoring?
-How much time are you willing to devote to maths extension one to get a band 6 and do you think tutoring will decrease your study time or increase it-i.e. by increasing your work load(also consider the travel time to and fro the tutoring centre)
-Do you have enough self-discipline to work by yourself for this subject consistently putting hard effort in or do you need an environment/motivation to keep working hard?

2)Is there any other way to get a high band 6 mark?
Yes, there is one other way-that is you working hard by
-doing the homework allocated by the teacher, understand concepts taught by the teacher and how concepts interrelate, ask the teacher if you don't understand anything immediately
-find practice past HSC questions and trial problems to practice upon as soon as you understand concepts, completed a substantial amount of textbook practice
-Always consider different approaches to the same problem, and imagine how different topics can be interrelated into the same question-anticipating this synthesise is a critical component to being prepared for the hardest problem in the exam
-Circle any questions you don't understand or got wrong-go back to re-do them as exam preparation until you get it right, ask the teacher if you don't understand anything-
-repeat the above process as many times as possible throughout the year (this also includes your 'school holidays)
-And ta, dah, by the end of this process-you should be likely to get a band 6 (E4)-depending on how much time you spent practicing problems and how closely you have followed the above process(remember, you can't study for maths the night before, you have to practice the skills over a long period of time, it is literally the only subject where rote learning will not get you ANYWHERE)

Best of luck for this year-study hard, try your best-be consistent and you will achieve your goal:) Hoped this helps and I have faith you can achieve a band 6 without tutoring if you have enough self-discipline, but if you think you need tutoring-then try it-do what works best for you:)
Thanks! I know a few people from my year who went to math tutoring. As their exam marks were below average before they went tutoring, there were no signs of improvement, although they hired a private tutor. I believe that they are wasting their time and money. I haven't been to a math tutor yet and I have been ranked top 5 of the grade, which most of the people in my year attend math tutoring regularly. All I do is learn from a range of textbooks and my math teacher for help.

braintic

HSC
N/A
op, some people in my school that receive tutoring in english are still ranked at the bottom, whereas I have never received tutoring and am ranked 16th at my school. mind you, the person ranked 1st in maths at my school does get tutoring but the person ranked 2nd (me) doesn't tutoring, but we will still both end up with B6/E4's
Its just that you didn't make it clear who you were responding to. It looked like you were answering the person immediately before you - which of course changed the meaning of your message.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
Its just that you didn't make it clear who you were responding to. It looked like you were answering the person immediately before you - which of course changed the meaning of your message.
o_O I assumed that any reply would be directed to the OP unless you have that quote thing

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC

1 - In some cases of private tutoring, tutoring is conducted by students just coming from the HSC, don't let this deceive you, as though they somehow are capable with knowledge. I am willing to bet that only a small portion of students who end up tutoring know content really well, and only a small portion of that are able to relay the information properly, and a small portion of that are able to appeal to the lowest common denominator. Teachers are teachers for a reason. Unless you have a mediocre teacher, or a teacher that doesn't teach at your level of understanding (of which everyone is different), then tutors are justifiable.

2 - Even in the cases of tutors who really are genuine and are excellent, unless your own teacher isn't good enough for you (and each person has their own needs), then I don't think there is a need for them.

3 - Especially for Mathematics, I feel like the least intrusive manner of teaching the better, all a teacher needs to do is relay the content and help with understanding concepts. This is all that is needed, the rest all comes down to the student to explore problem solving, and becoming more experienced. A Tutor cannot really help in this regard of problem solving, unless the tutor focuses a lot of time on solving problems with students, but even then, this should only be an initial scenario, a student shouldn't be hand-held in every area of solving these problems, in order to get a high order band 6, exploration of the content and questions is needed.

4 - Tutoring can create the false impression of a band 6. A band 6 is indicative of rank, you must beat a certain percentage of other people in order to attain it. Now that maths students in NSW have greater access to a multitude of resources, exam papers, and tutors, the importance of independent learning must be stressed because very few people who pick MX2 for the sake of scaling (a lot of them) are willing to go that extra mile to do independent research, which will inherently grant them a greater chance at band 6, something tutors cannot offer, and will only make it more difficult for independent research, due to constriction on time.

This does not in anyway mean to demean the efforts of genuine tutors, who are (some of them) are as qualified or even more qualified than teachers, I am merely outlining that with an adequate teacher, there is not really any need for tutoring.

Truth Seeker

HSC
On this matter I don't have any problem, because I have trusted website that can help me. Mymathdone.com is one of the best online websites that I trust the most. They even give you easy instructions for you to follow.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)