TUTORING FOR ALL SUBJECTS? (1 Viewer)

synthesisFR

School Spirit Skit 1
HSC
i don't think you need jp eng for eng tutoring. it's a group tutoring centre, so they're not even going to be text-specific (and even in the hsc year the analysis group centres give tend to be surface-level and generic).

personally i'd suggest not having a tutor in y11, and if you feel you need to (or you don't have teachers who don't give you constant good feedback) then get a private tutor in y12. y11 is where you should put in *your* own effort to improve on your english skills - where you're struggling with (creative writing, essay structuring and expression, analysis, etc). putting in your own effort to make your own self-evaluation and self-improvement in english in a year where your assessment tasks don't matter has a payoff - it makes english 1000x easier in y12, whether you have a tutor or not. i personally didn't have an english tutor in y11, i did all the work myself and i ended up doing much better than all my friends who did have tutors in y11 because i was spending that time building up my skills on my own
if u dont have a tutor how would you improev by urself

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
if u dont have a tutor how would you improev by urself
it's mainly if your english skills are mid/average, try to do it independently and cross that gap from the B to the A range, i did that in y11. like get assistance from your teachers when you can but i tried to do it based off what i got in the assessment marks, and just studied my feedback. for me, my feedback was mainly convoluted ideas and me not linking back to the qn, so i just improved on that for the next assessment and got a higher mark. so by the time i got a tutor in y12, my eng skills were strong enough so that my tutor didn't need to critique me on having poor structure (which is what you should already have by y12) but rather more important things

and i might have worded some of it wrongly, it's not just necessarily improvement you're looking for, but also the ability to self-critique your work and evaluate your own weaknesses which is a good thing to do before you hand in a task to a tutor or a teacher for feedback (because your tutor/teacher often has tons of students to watch out for, they're not going to know or remember every single thing about your previous assignments, but you will). often i've found in y11 from my friends all they did was just hand in their assessment tasks to their tutor, and while they did get extensive feedback, it was mainly wasted because a lot of the time they didn't have the skills to improve/get better - like they had the feedback but it was up to them to do the improvements themselves, which they didn't know how to do. i knew someone who got a low B for an assignment even after asking their tutor for help so many times in the leadup to when it got handed in

but if your english skills are actually so so so bad then you probably should consider a tutor who is catered not towards your assignments but more towards just improving your english skills in general to prep for y12. other than that tutors in y11 are not really needed

anonymoushehe

HSC
Wish I could’ve done that, shout-out to my teacher last year for telling me i had nothing to improve on my draft (which I submitted weeks in advance) and then hitting me with a 16/20 and only 3 words of essay feedback. So glad she’s gone
the same thing happened with a girl in my class except she received 13/20 😭😭😭

Paaandora

HSC
the same thing happened with a girl in my class except she received 13/20 😭😭😭
That girl is me :)
Although im not EAL D, i speak another language at home and w my friends at school therefore my english is terrible, and the only time i really get to work on that is in tutoring because in school, the teacher only gives like 10 words as feedback (but then again, they have alot of things to mark).
Im planning to do tutoring for eng and chem only now. (peak doesnt offer physics online and i can only go peak cause its SO CHEAP!!??)
do u guys think du is nessacary if i wanna achieve a high atarr???

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
yeah eng teachers are hit or miss. @Masaken — wait how good is the feedback for your assessments? mine are quite generic and at some points they've just done year feedback instead of personal ones 💀💀💀💀
my teachers do both general feedback for the year (organised in subsections on what the grade in general need to improve on) supplemented with personal ones that you get on marking sheets

i agree with feedback being hit or miss occasionally but i've found that most of mine tend to be pretty good, they get to the point directly on what i need to do to improve (eg. my y11 feedback said stuff like be more conceptual by framing your analysis like this, etc, articulate more conceptually for your topic sentence and then quickly outline what 'conceptual' meant). even for the practice essays the teachers let us submit they're generally, decently specific (like underlining parts of the essay with comments and stuff and an overall comment at the end)

carrotsss

HSC
do u guys think du is nessacary if i wanna achieve a high atarr???
Not at all, while it certainly can help, if you’re self directed and know how to study well with your own resources, it’s perfectly possible to do well without any tutoring at all. Imo maths tutoring is nowhere near as important as people make it out to be

nsw..wollongong

HSC
i reckon if u have tutoring for the main subjects (eg. english and math), it'll eventually help u out in physics (bc of usage of formulas) and econ (writing essays n whatnot). i don't think u need a tutor for every single subject bc if u get 1-2 good tutors, u should be able to apply the skills u learn to every subject

hscgirl

HSC
i think it won't help that much with phys – the hardest part is figuring out which formulas to use in the first place
econ, maybe, unsure
yeah i agree, it wont help that much with chem either
i feel like that if u need tutoring for a specific subject, u need to be tutored specifically for that subject (unless maybe it is different for hsie subjects, like modern history)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)