turnitin (1 Viewer)

um..

hip hop antagoniser
HSC
N/A
are any other universities using this website, www.turnitin.com?

you submit your essays to it and it searches its database, which ive been told is extremely exstensive, and looks for any signs of plagiarism. i think it's if it finds a string of eight words or more that matches something in it's database it will highlight it for you - obiviously if it's an attributed quote or passage you're ok, but if not its a good way of spotting plagiarism

i think my uni brought it in cos we've had so much shit happen regarding plagiarism in the last year

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
adding to ums statement, Turnitin is a major pain in the arse! it wont accept files over 2mb! how shit is that!
theres STACKS of uni's using it worldwide, although I'm not sure how many Aussie unis have implemented it yet

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
kewl never knew there was something like this

they must have a database that everyone would want to get their hands onto! :)

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
yeah nick i use it too, it seems alright to me but just fuckin' annoying cos yeah, its an extra effort to like upload your file and sign up blah blah

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by freaking_out
hey is this only for markers- or can we use it as well...and if so how? :confused:
it depends...for bio for me, its only for the markers (ie we dont see our plagiarism score), but for psych, we get to see it straight away. although its not really that useful coz we can only submit it the once.

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Originally posted by um..
i think my uni brought it in cos we've had so much shit happen regarding plagiarism in the last year
So that is the name of the program they are always talking about. How much did they talk about plagiarism in the first month or so:eek:!

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
I wonder if the reason that its database is so big is because every time someone submits their essay, it adds it to its database:).

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Merethrond
So that is the name of the program they are always talking about. How much did they talk about plagiarism in the first month or so:eek:!
lol, yep...i swear, if they do it again next semester, i will scream. for the first prob week and a half, i heard of nothing but Turnitin and Blackboard.

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Originally posted by hipsta_jess
lol, yep...i swear, if they do it again next semester, i will scream. for the first prob week and a half, i heard of nothing but Turnitin and Blackboard.
Yeah, Blackboard was another favourite (although that was at least useful for us) along with "refer to the course outline":).

perfectionist

I M SpEcIaL....SpEcIaL...
HSC
N/A
Jeez, how can we use this turnitin thing....i signed up for it, and now it requires us to "enrol in class"

What does this supposed to mean???

Is anyone here using it?

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by perfectionist
Jeez, how can we use this turnitin thing....i signed up for it, and now it requires us to "enrol in class"

What does this supposed to mean???

Is anyone here using it?
you need the classes i.d (eg 1111111) and the password the instructor has set

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Merethrond
Yeah, Blackboard was another favourite (although that was at least useful for us) along with "refer to the course outline":).
oh, and 'periodically clear out your studentmail account'

perfectionist

I M SpEcIaL....SpEcIaL...
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by hipsta_jess
you need the classes i.d (eg 1111111) and the password the instructor has set
Do we need to ask our lecturer for the password?

Jeez...any USyd people around here, using it?

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by perfectionist
Do we need to ask our lecturer for the password?
yeah, your lecturer or possibly your tutor should be able to give you the code and password.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)