Tsunami Disaster - 26 december 2004 (1 Viewer)

Danoz The Great

HSC
My teacher thinks they could ask a lot of questions on this - I'm not too sure on that, but just to let you all know it'd be wise to know the tectonic processes involved, size of the earthquake that produced the tsunami, etc.

Just thought I'd let you know...but I don't think my teacher is right. It'd have to connect to the syllabus...but I wasn't sure so I wrote this here as a precaution incase she WAS right.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
It would be good to know about it, it might help you to understand tectonic plates easier (if you don't understand it). You can never have too many examples.

I had a uni lecture on Monday which talked about the Tsunami and all the details, if you like, I can post the notes up.

dawso

needmorecustomstatusspace
HSC
yeah the type of thing they could ask on this would be somethin about how the wave could hav been formed (tectonic processes involved) and also looking at where the plate boundaries are etc.... as u said, it has 2 be related to the syllabus so they cant ask questions about the actual tsunami as a case study etc...

Danoz The Great

HSC
Cape said:
It would be good to know about it, it might help you to understand tectonic plates easier (if you don't understand it). You can never have too many examples.

I had a uni lecture on Monday which talked about the Tsunami and all the details, if you like, I can post the notes up.
I'd like to know what sort of technology there is that can help with predicting tsunami's - would you have any info on that?

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
dani_danoz said:
I'd like to know what sort of technology there is that can help with predicting tsunami's - would you have any info on that?
Well, its pretty difficult to predict tsunamis. Theres no real technology that can predict it. Altough, from the recent disaster, scientists and geologists are looking into technologies (which have not been available to the public) than could be used to see if a tsunami will occur. So, the seismography is the best thing at the moment. Although, it can't be predicted whether or not the waves from the earthquake are vertical or horizontal - until the tsunami actually occurs.

Danoz The Great

HSC
My teacher was going on about a buoy that is attached to the ground. It then alers a monitoring center if there is any ground movement. It sounded completely bizaare lol, it'd never work out.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
A bouy could detect ground movement - but what happens in deep water? And how would it predict or feel the vertical waves that cause tsunamis?

dawso

needmorecustomstatusspace
HSC
ok, from what i understand, this piece of technology involves a probey thingy being put on the ocean floor, lol, it works just like a laser geodometer and measures the movement of the floor, when it measures a movement which is a sign of a possible earthquake and therefore a tsunami, it sends a message to the bouy on the surface, this then sends a message to a geostationary satellite which in turn sends it to the authorities....

it cannot 'measure the waves' cause often a tsunami is onli a ripple out 2 sea, its not until it reaches land that the energy compresses and forces the water up which makes the wave we see....

Danoz The Great

HSC
She said it measured earthquakes on the ocean floor. sorry for the confusion.

samuelblayden

Newcstle Knights 2006
HSC
the earthquake that started it all was that powerful it tilted the earth on its axis a few degrees

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)