• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

TSP Progam @ UNSW (1 Viewer)

shinn

HSC
Tsp @ Unsw

Just wondering if anyone knows whether TSP (Talented Students Program) is only for those enrolled Advanced mathematics / Advanced science or can a person doing a combined degree with just a regular B Science degree (e.g. B science with engineering) apply/invited as well?

Thanks in advance...

Last edited:

Affinity

HSC
For maths just go up to the relevant people and ask if you can overload :p Don't think the formal TSP is that active..

Last edited:

shinn

HSC
Re: TSP P @ UNSW

Sorry for reviving this old thread but I have got several questions..

I've achieved an uai of > 99 and I'm considering doing B engo / B sci at unsw. Do you need to apply for this TSP or would you be automatically invited if you satisfy this uai criteria?

Further, regarding the TSP @ Advanced Mathematics - UNSW - Science , it states "Under this program, you are appointed an Academic mentor who will assist you to accelerate your program and to involve you in special research projects to enhance your academic experience and potential. Other benefits from being selected for this program include, the opportunity to participate in student mentoring and school activities, international exchange, and the summer scholarship scheme".

Does 'accelerating' mean students undertaking this program are allowed to do second year maths courses during first year??

Thanks in advance.

shinn

HSC
Yea, I'm just wondering if you would be automatically invited if you satisfy the criteria or do you need to apply for anything in order to get invited..

Last edited:

EdmondDW

HSC
I am in this program...and i can't see any differences between noraml Advanced science program and TSP...

BUT I know some research courses only open for students in TSP...which means u can get into lab very early....
meanwhile, u need to keep a WAM above 85 or 80? I am not sure, my WAM is around 87.***.....

Another benefit is u can shorten ur degree to 3.5 yrs...but 5 subjects per session will kill u, seriously....

Iruka

HSC
N/A
I think "by invitation" means that they invite you automatically.

TSP in maths always was a bit of a joke at UNSW. It seemed to consist of them writing you this rinky-dink little letter at the end of every year telling you you should do more maths in the future. (I got three of them - they are all exactly the same.)

Maybe they have tarted the TSP up a bit these days, but I doubt it. (I suspect it is more of a marketing exercise so they have something to put in the handbook.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)