TSFX (1 Viewer)

vintage95

HSC
Hey guys,
I was just wondering if any of you guys have enrolled to TSFX's holiday trial lessons? if you guys are, what subjects are you atttending?

vintage95:spin:

zb123

HSC
Economics and business studies. I recommend them for everyone, besides English, as it is likely everyone going will have similar essays.

HSC
TSFX is shit, i went for summer lessons this year....they have crap notes

I went for chem, phys and MX ::L

will_

HSC
Uni Grad
i wont be spending my money on tsfx. its risky with them sometimes you get a good teacher who is not bad, sometimes you get one who doesnt realise that they arent good at teaching (experienced both in the past)

HSC
Uni Grad
Even though I spent $105 on English Standard sessions (would of been $220 if I chose all the Belonging crap) and I bloody hope the notes and the sessions are worth the money and time, I have to catch about 6:13am train to get there.

SanjoyM

HSC
I'm attending the Advanced English Julius Caesar Representation and Text (conflicting perspectives) lecture (Have an assessment approaching, and my teacher has taught us NOTHING - self-study basically. It's a pretty easy module, but want to attent to see the requirements to achive a high band 6 mark!)

I attended their summer school lecture on Jan - they are not that bad, their notes are quite good. However, the teachers are not that competent, some are, some are not, and some do not even know what they are talking about (lol). However, the english teachers were awesome!!

HSC
Uni Grad
Went today, and it was pretty good. Module A (Distinctive Voices) was by the far best lecture of the three I attended today, the teacher was brilliant, confident and actually really, really helpful. Second session, Close Study of Text was shit. At start she tried to cover all the texts (there were 9 or so texts to cover for all students) and she only did one in detail and it was mainly "Oh this is how to write an essay". SERIOUSLY! I think 99.999999*% of us can actually write an essay by now. Third session, Module C (Into the World), was so-so. It was good, and average. No one could give a thesis point when you could easily make up one for the info they given us in one question, and I was the only one who could in the room write one. >.<

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
Went today, and it was pretty good. Module A (Distinctive Voices) was by the far best lecture of the three I attended today, the teacher was brilliant, confident and actually really, really helpful. Second session, Close Study of Text was shit. At start she tried to cover all the texts (there were 9 or so texts to cover for all students) and she only did one in detail and it was mainly "Oh this is how to write an essay". SERIOUSLY! I think 99.999999*% of us can actually write an essay by now. Third session, Module C (Into the World), was so-so. It was good, and average. No one could give a thesis point when you could easily make up one for the info they given us in one question, and I was the only one who could in the room write one. >.<
errr....

Blocy

HSC
N/A
I went to Frankenstein/Blade Runner and Julius Caesar, F/BR was good! But JC was pretty bad..

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
I went to Frankenstein/Blade Runner and Julius Caesar, F/BR was good! But JC was pretty bad..
Curious; for these English ones, what do they cover? How much of the lecture is talking about the text?

Thanks =]

Blocy

HSC
N/A
For the F/BR one, it was heavily centered around bridging the two texts together and how certain topics could be interlinked together, but it also went outside the texts in terms of author contexts and how their lifestyles in society helped spawn similar notions, although 200 years apart. I found it very useful as my teacher didn't really cover it too well/my lack of revision in this module :p. But the majority of the lecture was talking about the text, with only about 10% of the lecture on answering past questions and philosophical ideas about the context.

The J.C one wasn't really that well done because the beginning part of the lecture felt like we were just addressing the basic rubric of the module -definitions of representations and several periods where we had to answer basic questions which we would then go over. There was also a significant amount of time taken to address what "conflicting perspectives" with debating as an analogy which I think would of been helpful if we were only just introduced to the module, and not already revising for it. The later part involved addressing and analysing which conflicting perspectives were more important and how we could incorporate them into essays, which was better than the former part.

But overall I fell that this lecture lacked what the first lecture had, though it was probably due to the lecturer (the former seemed to know more about her topic (co-writing Cambridge Dotpoints), whilst the latter had more experience with HSC marking (10years) and a judge on the English band distributions, and although her lecture was more interactive; getting us to do questions, it seemed to meander and was boring in general.

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC
Went to all the 2U Maths and the English ones, and going to 3U on Wednesday/Thursday.

The Belonging stuff was boring, there's only really so much they can tell you and I'm already getting 15/15 for Section 1 and have a pretty solid story for Section 2 already, so it probably wasn't worth the time.

Modules were great. Frankenstein/Blade Runner was good, and the Hamlet notes were brilliant, much more confident with Module B now. Justice Game was cancelled, which sucked seeing as we have an assessment on it first day back, hopefully they reschedule it soon.

Blocy

HSC
N/A
Just curious, how was the 2U math lecture? I find it hard to see how a lecture in maths would be more beneficial compared to say, 1on1 maths tutoring?

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC
I'd say one on one tutoring would be more beneficial, but the lectures were still OK. Personally I don't find 2U Maths too difficult so I didn't really learn much from the lectures; I finished all the booklets with about half an hour to spare and worked on other stuff I brought with me.

If you already know the content and revise regularly then the lectures themselves are just an opportunity to practice extra questions. The explanation of concepts that they go through are nothing that a tutor can't do.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)