• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

tSBtS: Context (1 Viewer)

Cat_Orange

HSC
I am really starting to hate the word context. Anyway, I have a couple of questions concerning tSBtS and context. I think I understand most of it, but I'm having a hard time putting it all together.

Personal context of PD James: Obviously working the judicial system for most of her life.. and therefore the reason why she writes CF?

Society context of tSBtS: the British class system at that time which is symbolised in the characters she uses. The economic situation at the time = when Sir. George says: "Shouldn't be a purist in these times. A job's a job."? And the graphic description of Clarissa's body indicates a desensitised audience.

That's all I have regarding context. Does anyone know if there is something else I should know about? I'm also supposed to know about moral and social values relevant to tSBtS's context - is this just the issue with the Class System, and the obsession with money seen in Ambrose and Clarissa?

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
When I looked at context for this for this text, I tried not to place them in categories as that can limit what you see and some stuff crosses over...but basically[obviously this isn't everything, just some points of note]:

TSBS is set in britain, with distinctly 'british' values - eg stoical, almost feudal in their class separation e.t.c., its context is also more modern than that of the cosy[you'd never have had the face mutilation in a Christie/Sayers novel for example]. There isn't really a distinct mention of time, but given the use of certain technologies its safe to say in the latter half of the 1900s[ie it could work equally as well in the 60s, 70s or 80s]. Its also still in a context where the values of the country still sees people fitting clearly into gender roles [not a suitable job for a woman etc.].

Also, an important moral value that is embedded in the text is that of responsibility to the children - Clarissa failed in her responsibility to Simon[the attempted seduction, the objectifying etc] and there was also the Tolly incident and so on.

Most of the ideas you'll be required to put forward on context will inevitably uncover things about values so its easy to analyse them together but its also extremely important you be able to distinguish between the two - something not all students are capable of.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)