Trouble revising (1 Viewer)

champ_sammy_19

~~~* Munchkin*~~~
HSC
I've currently got my head in the books studying 4 the art hsc exam, as I only study 2 courses this yr can any 1 help me with this question? "how does a postmodern point of view challenge the idea of art as unique and precious?" it if from the 2002 HSC

Serg01

I htink becuase some Post Modernist like Tracy Emin constrcuted works which are not unique or precious. The tent, ' Everyone whom I had slept with' (i think thats it) is a representatiopn of somthing completly oppisit to precious.
I think you also need to define the post-modern view which I think is 'art is what you make it to be' or something... it is a pluralistic art house which encommpasses almost any idea.

P*O*R*T*I*A

HSC
Well postmodernists dont believe that there is such thing as an 'original masterpiece'... they reject the modernist ideas of the precious and unique original artwork etc... postmodernists thus appropriate styles from the past as many radical postmodernists beleive that nothing new can be created. Jameison stated "in a world where artistic inovation is no longer possible, all that is left is to imitate dead styles", therefore we get works that use appropriation and pastiche and an ecclectic mix of styles and influences. Postmodern artists also challenge the idea of art being precious, as they like to break the boundaries between high art and low art. They believe that Da Vinci's Mona Lisa should have no more value than an advertising poster. This 'un-precious' approach will supposedly democratise the art-world which has been centered around male Western dominance. Postmodern art has also led to being non- precious as postmodern culture centeres around consumerist culture and teh mass-market, which many contemporary works appeal to . Meaning that consumerist culture is not interested in a white square on a white canvas (Malevich) which is why we see many Kitch works that draw influence from popular culture like Jeff Koon's stainless steel rabbit.

Hope that helps

Jase

HSC
Excellently said portia!

So just remember these golden phrases:

"blurring boundaries between high art and low art"
"all texts are equal and no text is original (intertextuality)"
-postmodernism focuses on surface values and accepts the lack of certainty and depthlessness

On intertextuality, basically saying that no work is unique:
'A text is... a multidimensional space in which a variety of writings, none of them original, blend and clash. The text is a tissue of quotations... The writer can only imitate a gesture that is always anterior, never original. His only power is to mix writings, to counter the ones with the others, in such a way as never to rest on any one of them' (Barthes 1977, 146)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)