Triple Threat (1 Viewer)

epicFAILx

HSC
i would like to do chemistry, however, i have heard from many people doing 3 sciences is HARD!

why is thst so? (if it is so!)
AND what are the pros and cons of doing them all?

feel free to discuss! :)

annagurl

HSC
N/A
i would like to do chemistry, however, i have heard from many people doing 3 sciences is HARD!

why is thst so? (if it is so!)
AND what are the pros and cons of doing them all?

feel free to discuss! :)
my friend does 3 sciences... plus 3u of math. He's dying. LOL. Barely sleeps because of physics.

silentdreamer

HSC
i've got friends doing 3 sciences as well and they seem to be handling it pretty well.
keep in mind that you do get more exams though, since you have prac exams as well as theory :)

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
Some people like it, others don't.

It's up to your personal preferences.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I know someone doing all three but they are apparently definitely dropping physics at end of yr 11. I guess it just depends how passionate you are about science. I've seen BOSers before do all 3 for HSC though, just depends on you.

Pros:
Builds a strong science foundation and even though different sciences, prob great for developing the skills needed for all sciences.
You want to do it

Cons:
That's a TONNES of periods of science a week. at my school, it's equivalent to having 2 whole school days and a bit of purely science a week. Means little variety in your studies.
Could be quite high workload
You'd have to catch up really fast

epicFAILx

HSC
I know someone doing all three but they are apparently definitely dropping physics at end of yr 11. I guess it just depends how passionate you are about science. I've seen BOSers before do all 3 for HSC though, just depends on you.

Pros:
Builds a strong science foundation and even though different sciences, prob great for developing the skills needed for all sciences.
You want to do it

Cons:
That's a TONNES of periods of science a week. at my school, it's equivalent to having 2 whole school days and a bit of purely science a week. Means little variety in your studies.
Could be quite high workload
You'd have to catch up really fast
would a pro also be scaling??

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
Please don't take scaling into account for subject choice.

No amount of scaling is going to save you if you perform poorly.

x_cp3

HSC
i have no social life now because of the sciences...

x_cp3

HSC
uhh mainly chem and physics. i dont really spend that much time on bio.

ibbi00

HSC
Depends on your choice of degree next year. For instance, having not done Physics will come back to bite me next semester for a fact. Having done Business Studies, Chemistry and Biology though has made things immensely easier.

HSC
Uni Grad
Tbh, I can't really see why like Chemistry would be harder than Modern History or something...

Like if you're considering doing three sciences then you're probably already a sciencey (lol) person, choosing a science over humanities or arts would probably make it easier for you...

nisseltaria

HSC
Three sciences can be quite a high workload, and you do have to actually learn the material (it's much harder to guess leChatelier than to waffle on about something you don't really know in an essay).
Also, some schools have a standard assessment timing for the sciences. On one day in year 12 I had 3 assignments totalling more than 30 pages due.
It is certainly doable, I did 3 sciences for year 11 and part of year 12 alongside 4-unit maths. Ended up dropping bio because I couldn't be bothered doing 13 units when only 10 would count.

With chem you may want to check that you have an aptitude for it. Some people find part way through the course that they just despise it.

HSC
Uni Grad
(it's much harder to guess leChatelier than to waffle on about something you don't really know in an essay).
This is not true. It's not any easier 'waffle on' about the politics of Germany at the turn of the 20th century than Le Chatelier's principle.

HSC
Uni Grad
@OP,

The workload depends on the person. Last year I did practically no study for Chem, Phys, 2U and 3U Maffs and played Angry Birds in every lesson but still achieved 1st place with assessment marks of 95%, 97%, 100% and 98% respectively. I put most of my efforts into Modern History but I only managed 5th place and an assessment mark of 84%.

epicFAILx

HSC
Depends on your choice of degree next year. For instance, having not done Physics will come back to bite me next semester for a fact. Having done Business Studies, Chemistry and Biology though has made things immensely easier.
ive heard i could do a bridging course for chemistry right before uni... i waant to do vet science

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)