Trigonometry in Three Dimensions :(!!!! (1 Viewer)

Smilebuffalo

HSC
Help! I've been struggling with this question for a long time and still can't do it.

"David walks along a straight road. At one point he notices a tower on a bearing of 053* with an angle of elevation of 21*. After walking 230m, the tower is on a bearing of 342*, with an angle of elevation of 26*. Find the height of the tower correct to the nearest metre."

The major difficulty i'm having is drawing the diagram. So if there's any way anyone can somehow post up what the diagram is meant to look like, i'd very much appreciate it. :)

btw: the answer is 84m.

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
Jetblack, how did you do the diagrams? Impressive.

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
The Mac equivalent of Word: Pages :)
Ahh okay...

Worth noting that although your diagrams work, I think alot of people in the other class in Year 11 who were taught this way of drawing diagrams for 3D trig had alot of trouble.

Our class were taught the way Coroneos does it, and I think it's easy personally, and no one in our class seemed to be troubled by it too much.

Just my $0.02.

jet

Banned
HSC
Ahh okay...

Worth noting that although your diagrams work, I think alot of people in the other class in Year 11 who were taught this way of drawing diagrams for 3D trig had alot of trouble.

Our class were taught the way Coroneos does it, and I think it's easy personally, and no one in our class seemed to be troubled by it too much.

Just my $0.02.
I've never seen the way he does it. What's it like??

Lukybear

HSC
That Question is either from Math in Focus or Jones and Couchmen right?

And how does Coroneos does it?

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
Well in his book, there are two main diagram shapes. The "billboard" type and the "two triangle" one.

I'll scan it after my trials and post it here.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
breaking up the triangles into 3 separate triangles can help you immensely.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)