• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Trig question (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

benji_10

HSC
a) A flag pole 9m high stands on top of a support. The top if the support is 16m above the eye-level of the observer. If the flagpole subtends an angle, theta, at the eye of the observer who is standing x metres away from the support: It looks like this: http://i51.tinypic.com/28lb7ly.png

i) Show that theta = arctan(25/x) - arctan(16/x) ----> arctan is inverse tan
ii) Find that value of x which makes theta a maximum.
iii) Show that the max value of theta is arctan(9/40)

I already got part i). It's just parts ii) and iii) that bugs me. Not sure whether to use calculus because you can't differentiate arctan when the x term is on the bottom.

Thanks guys!

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
ii)

By usual testing, is max for x = 20

iii)

for x = 20:

Last edited:

hscishard

HSC
lol and you are in year12 this year?

get a tutor before you fail. :p, and you are doing 4unit maths as well.

Im not going to help:

1. because I dont like the people that ask maths questions on this site and

2. because I am doing my own electrical engineering questions to revise for uni

but LOLOLOLOL
If that's so...then why are you still here?
man being an asshole is so much fun, a bit of satisfaction to make up for the previous 9months of disappointment from this site
Oh! Is this why you're still here? Rofl what a faggot!

genius2011

Banned
HSC
N/A
hey drongski

i will give you $100 if you never help anyone with maths on here ever again , time to cut off the free math help, may increase number of students ( and if nothing else it willl piss off the cheapstakes ) . Besides $100 is probably more money than you have got from any students on here

with us two gone who does that leave, trebla?, he is hardly on, if nothing else all the responsibility will fall on him

lets do this man :D

hscishard

HSC
You r so sad. You're saying we need you to pass our hsc.
I wonder what drongoski would say though, that's if he does lol

genius2011

Banned
HSC
N/A
You r so sad. You're saying we need you to pass our hsc.
I wonder what drongoski would say though.
nah, I just want to see all your maths questions go unanswered, and the only three main answerers are me, drongoski and trebla. and treblas hardly on here

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Frankly I'm doing it because I'm bored.

Nobody knows if I am an outstanding tutor (which I am) or not. Everyone advertises with ATAR 99.xx. Hard for me to claim that I am at least as good as they are. Unfortunately it is not convenient for me to divulge more about myself.

I only hope someone would pm me for my services. It is not just for the money. I just want to share whatever special expertise and lots of special tricks and insight I may have. It pisses me off that they think Talent100, Intuition, Matrix etc etc is better than me.

Most of my students come from my ads in local papers and from referrals from former students.

Last edited:

genius2011

Banned
HSC
N/A
come on drongoski, what you want, what do i have to give you to stop helping ppl :p

genius2011

Banned
HSC
N/A
I know myself that i admit that i did get some enjoyment from helping people on here, but now everyone are assholes and never give me a go in real life, so i decided why the fuck bother, you know what i mean ?

you know yourself that u must be rather sick of people not giving you a go after all the free help on here, you are being used , wake up to what is happening, they are all going to the million dollar tutoring companies then coming on here so you can answer their questions.

you are worth more than that man

Last edited:

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
you are worth more than that man
Thank you. I can sympathise with your position. I'm aware we are shooting ourselves in the foot! Many don't even bother to say thank you to you.

Last edited:

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Clearly someone does not understand the meaning of the word "volunteer". People here including past students and teachers alike, volunteer their time to help others. Even if the usual helpers leave, there will always be others to replace them. When I was once a student user on this forum, many people were kind enough to volunteer to help me out and I will always remain grateful for that. Likewise, the site's free resources page have served many students (including myself back then) very well. That is the whole point of this site.

Not everyone here goes to "million dollar tutoring colleges". There is nothing wrong with asking questions in an online forum.
We're not doing anybody's homework (I don't even answer every question on this forum anyway, I only do the hard or interesting ones; I often leave it to the others to answer the easier ones), all we're doing is giving a helping hand. The very fact that you are bribing someone who is always helpful to others to abandon his charitable ways, is a new disappointing low. It will not achieve anything and will never increase the number of students in tutoring services.

If all you care about is money then get out of here and don't come back.

benji_10

HSC
Thanks Drongoski. I understand where I went wrong.

And for what its worth I do appreciate people like Drongoski taking time out and helping other people. Money shouldn't be an incentive to give others a hand.
So thank you Drongoski.

JustforLOLs

Banned
HSC
Nice to see helpful people still here, if only the admins showed the same level of interest in students. I'm pretty sure moderators here don't even know the admins personally ie. their name, where they live, age etc. because it's like they have distanced themselves from this community. Most moderators are nice however.

genius2014

Banned
HSC
N/A
Even if the usual helpers leave, there will always be others to replace them.
Are you so sure about that? . Will you find anyone with anywhere near as much dedication as passion as me or drongoski?? Yes there will still be a few noobs around that can answer VERY basic questions but whenever anyone posts a harder question that requires either a diagram or binomial theorm then it will definately be a while before it gets answer ( if its answered at all ). I dont know if you will be able to find someone with anywhere near as much patience I had with explaining addition of fractions with brightside( before he was a jerk ) lol.

I am one of the very few ( if only ) that have actually went to the trouble of scanning pictures and shit and have even stayed home on university mornings 10-20minutes to answer questions. But this year I wont be, I have been putting everyone before me for far too long and look at whats happened, I have been taken advantage of, its time to show a bit of selfishness and study a bit more instead of wasting my time helping people here, hopefully I can get an average mark of 85 this year at uni.

I only do the hard or interesting ones; I often leave it to the others to answer the easier ones
Thats what I am banking on, if you dont answer the easiesr ones then all of brightsides calls for help will go unanswered XD

The very fact that you are bribing someone who is always helpful to others to abandon his charitable ways, is a new disappointing low.

No , I am merely doing what no one else on here has, I am acknowledging his knowledge and abilitiy as a tutor, if no one else on here is willing to try him out in real life then they shouldnt be getting help from him at all. If they are going to pay $1500-2000/term to a tutoring comapny, then they should stay with that company and no be asking questions here. If anyone feels the need that they need to ask further questions here then they obviously are not getting enough after hours support from the company, and thus they should quit the tutor company and do tutoring with either drongoski or me where there would obviously be a huge capacity for online support after class hours

I am willing to pay him to not help people for those reasons , I am trying to get him a good deal.

[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

genius2014

Banned
HSC
N/A
Also I dont "just care about the money" but I do find it extremely rude when someone getting tons of help on here from either me or drongoski goes to a bloody $2000/term tutoring company because they feel the extremely huge fees will bring good results.

The way I see it is that if you are rich enough to shell out $2000 per term then you should atleast chip in something for the people helping you over the net, or hell, maybe even try them out instead of the tutoring company!

shaon0

HSC
@ Genius2014: There are a ton of really good mathematicians on this site. If you guys stop, there will always be others capable of answering q's on a voluntary basis. Eg; If a question goes unanswered for a few days, someone will answer it, as it's presumed difficult and worthy of one's time. But I recognise your point of view as being somewhat valid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)