Trig Functions ?? Do we need to know... (1 Viewer)

UNSW !!
HSC
Hi Everyone,

I know that we need to know the relationships between sin, cos (vice versa), tan and sec (vice versa). But do we need to know about cot and cosec ???

They are not included in the exercises I have done, so I assume that cot and cosec are not required. However, cot was in my Trials....so I am nervous....

Could someone put my mind at rest??

Thanks !!

bmn

HSC
Not sure what exactly your referring to about the relationship, but you will need to know it.

UNSW !!
HSC
im referring more to the differentiation and integration relationships (eg. f(x) = cos x, f '(x) = sin x)

but do we need to know ANYTHING about cot or cosec? I wasn't told to....

61st of April

HSC
No you do not need to be able to derive either cot, sec or cosec - sec squared, sin cos and tan, yes. If they wanted you to derive any of those reciprocals, they would have a "Show that cot [whatever] = [whatever]" and then "derive cot [whatever]" Hope this helps - if I am mistaken, someone please correct me :)

Thecorey0

HSC
I have seen questions asking for the integral of cot or tan. They are done in 2 parts though. i.e. i differentiate cos(x). ii Hence find the integral of tan(x).Similarily for cot(x).

UNSW !!
HSC
Ok yep, well then in that case, can someone direct me towards the types of things I need to know about cot and cosec?

I have absolutely no clue about either (like I wouldn't be able to answer (ii) of Thecorey0's question) :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)