Triathlons (1 Viewer)

Hazballs

HSC
Hey Guys,

I was just wondering if anyone of the BOS site has ever participated in a triathlon as i was thinking about entering one. From what i have gathered by doing some research i have two options, there is a "sprint triathlon which consists of an 800m swim, 21k bike followed by a 5km run or there is the standard Olympic triathlon which is 1.5km swim, 42k bike and a 10km run.

Just in general i could do both of the swim lengths for both of those, as well as the run however it would just be the bike ride as i have hardly ever cycled in my life. I was thinking of starting off with the sprint one though and then progressing onto the olympic one but i was wondering if anyone has ever participated in one, or has ever trained for one and has some tips.

Cheers!

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
I have entered in Triathlons before, and I believe the user deswa1 has too.

Your information is right.

Essentially, you just need to know how to swim. Anybody can run and anybody can ride a bike. If you intend to take them a bit more seriously, I suggest investing in a Road Bike. An entry level one should cost you about $400-500.

The problem with many new-triathletes is that after the swimming leg, they cramp when on the bike. Make sure to watch out for that.

I am currently training to do the Iron Man.

AAEldar

Premium Member
HSC
I haven't done a full triathlon, but have done a mini one (shorter than the sprint one that you mentioned).

As Carrot said, the swim is what'll get you. Riding is pretty easy as long as you don't go too hard and cramp up and so is the run. Get a hold of a bike and start riding though, it's the way to go!

Hazballs

HSC
Yeah, my dad used to ride quite a bit and he has a pretty decent road bike that i've been using lately and considering that i've never hardly ridden before how should i start training for the bike?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)