trials (1 Viewer)

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
ok, i have a job trial tomorrow afternoon for bar-work (of course they schedule it during the busy period on what will be quite possibly one of the hottest days of the years :rolleyes: )...any hints?

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
very much so!! esp as the only experience i have was during my practical bar course with very little pressure.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Just smile, be really nice to the customers... try your hardest and try not to look too stressed or flustered. I think that ultimately they will be looking more at your customer service skills and your willingness to work hard. Don't stress. And remember, unpaid trials are actually illegal... so if they string you along "on trial" for a while then don't let them use you up.

Dammit

make sure you pour a good beer, they always look at this.

Never stand around doing nothing, if there is no customers, go clean ashtrays, pickup glasses, wash glasses, restock the bar, clean the bar, clean the pokies area, wipe tables, DO SOMETHING. once yoou get the job then you can slacken off and stand around when thers nothing to do. Focus on serving behind the bar because thats what they want to see. Try make jokes with customers make them laugh and be happy etc, have a chat to them w hile you pour their drinks and stuff. if they are having spirits, white spirits eg vodka gin etc ask if they want a lemon garnish in there if brown spirits scotch whiskey etc dont ask.

bar work is pretty simple, the most important thing is being able to pour a good beer with about 1.5cm head on it. if you dont know how to do something dont pretend you do just ask. the other staff will help you.

ask the othe staff if they pay on the books and how much an hour you should be getting, cos alot of bar jobs are off the books and they pay you like $11 an hour (stingy i know) so you gotta check up before you start working, and its easier to ask other staff than it is to ask your boss i think.

hope this helps, good luck you`ll do fine ;)

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Pay on the books is when they pay you legit. When they pay cash in hand, you legally don't even work there and you don't have to pay tax on your earnings... and hence don't have to pay you the award rate. Paying cash in hand is illegal but it's common. Sometimes it's better to be paid cash ie. if you are on youth allowance and can only earn a certain amount per week, or it's your second job.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
ohhh, I see.
well, in the trial, I think I did excessively badly, lol, but their going to get me to do a second trial, so I guess thats a good thing...and another club rung up to get more details about me and I may (or may not, lol) score an interview with them, and I have an interview with a pub this arvo...so fingers crossed.

Note to all: New needs a lot less work than Hanh, lol

Ranger Stacie

hollaback girl
HSC
braindrainedAsh said:
Pay on the books is when they pay you legit. When they pay cash in hand, you legally don't even work there and you don't have to pay tax on your earnings... and hence don't have to pay you the award rate. Paying cash in hand is illegal but it's common. Sometimes it's better to be paid cash ie. if you are on youth allowance and can only earn a certain amount per week, or it's your second job.
really, cos i get paid cash in hand, and ive filled out a tax declaration form and everything

clive

evilc
HSC
N/A
hipsta_jess said:
ohhh, I see.
well, in the trial, I think I did excessively badly, lol, but their going to get me to do a second trial, so I guess thats a good thing...and another club rung up to get more details about me and I may (or may not, lol) score an interview with them, and I have an interview with a pub this arvo...so fingers crossed.

Note to all: New needs a lot less work than Hanh, lol
you working in newcastle? or cessnock?

biggles04

Banned
HSC
N/A
Ranger Stacie said:
really, cos i get paid cash in hand, and ive filled out a tax declaration form and everything
If your employer is witholding tax in the appropriate way, then it is not illegal to be paid cash in hand by arrangement with the employer.

Edit:

Here's to a hundred posts!!

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Yeah, the term commonly referred to as "cash in hand" is the illegal type activity. You can be paid cash money and it can be "on the books"

If you have filled out an employment dec, that means you are "on the books", and if your employer is paying you cash money and taking out your tax and you have signed an employment declaration, it's fine.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Nat- ex services club
Clive- Cessnock (shhh, don't say it too loudly :p)

Well I had another trial last night, now I've done 2 trials with them, about 5 hrs worth, so I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
well, i didnt get the job....5 hrs for them, for nothing...I mean, I don't care about that side of it, it just sucks really.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
and they just got 5 hrs of free labour. at least you know if you like it now.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
and screw any minute chance i might have of possibly ever getting a job there? i think not.

lol, nah...i dunno, i just couldnt be stuffed...and i mean, its not like i had $100 and lost it, its something i didnt have in the first place, so i cant miss it, + it filled in 5 hrs of my week, which, at the moment, is awesome.

meLoncoLLie

adores corgis
HSC
hipsta_jess said:
well, i didnt get the job....5 hrs for them, for nothing...I mean, I don't care about that side of it, it just sucks really.
aren't you supposed to be paid something, even if it was just a trial? it's like for them to say thanks for you help?

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
it depends on the company and not all companies pay for trial. if she signed something then there is no way they would pay her

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)