Trial SC Discussion Thread - 2009 (1 Viewer)

lezah

HSC
Completed my english trials/yearlies and mathematics content yearlies today,
wasn't that bad, abit more preparation & time could have been useful but oh well, not really complaining.

Did anyone have their English trials provided by the Board of Studies? the syllabus included a text about Jeans-for-Genes day, an editorial, two letters, and this Coraline story. The writing tasks were a speech & horror creative writing.
Yes! Horror creative writing? Was it that genre? I got the one where we had to pick a beginning out of the 4 given from real novels to start our short story. There was also a question regarding a really stupid website that got lost when we started the exam. They found it halfway through.

I got the writing section back today, as well as my multiple choice questions mark. Quite pleased with it. :)

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
Yes! Horror creative writing? Was it that genre? I got the one where we had to pick a beginning out of the 4 given from real novels to start our short story. There was also a question regarding a really stupid website that got lost when we started the exam. They found it halfway through.

I got the writing section back today, as well as my multiple choice questions mark. Quite pleased with it. :)
Website on youths?

HiHaii

HSC
Completed my english trials/yearlies and mathematics content yearlies today,
wasn't that bad, abit more preparation & time could have been useful but oh well, not really complaining.

Did anyone have their English trials provided by the Board of Studies? the syllabus included a text about Jeans-for-Genes day, an editorial, two letters, and this Coraline story. The writing tasks were a speech & horror creative writing.
what! :jaw:
I just had my english trial exam today and had the exact same syllabus as yours! didn't know
jeans-for-genes, editorial, two letters, Coraline story and writing tasks. We also had a huge A3 paper to read. I thought the school make the trials? oh well... The english was easy though

Had my science today as well and it was hard!

Did anyone have their history/geography or maths trials yet?

Last edited:

mirakon

nigga
HSC
Yeah, I had all my trials (they're the same as my yearlies) last term (I did maths last year). I'll get the rest of my results back in two weeks hopefully. Good luck to all for their trials.

manutd12

HSC
Yepp D4Danny our school got the EXACT same syllabus.. though the Jeans4Genes wascut out of the paper after we did it because alot of people had trouble reading the paper cause it was to small and blurry, and we had the 2 letters to the editors and the Lady Gaga opinion & Coraline, and a poverty and youth poster. We also had to write a speech and a short story.

English was fairly easy.. but science was ABSOLUTE bullshit it had nothing to do with the syllabus and like the whole year found it hard. It was horrible... it was like 15 pages back to front. I studied 38 PAGES of notes, and it did not help one bit..

Computers were a piece of cake, they let us sitt near eachother and everyone was telling their answers to eachother so it was pretty pathetic. Maths on Thurs, so yepp not looking 4ward to it. :spin:

HiHaii

HSC
Yepp D4Danny our school got the EXACT same syllabus.. though the Jeans4Genes wascut out of the paper after we did it because alot of people had trouble reading the paper cause it was to small and blurry, and we had the 2 letters to the editors and the Lady Gaga opinion & Coraline, and a poverty and youth poster. We also had to write a speech and a short story.

English was fairly easy.. but science was ABSOLUTE bullshit it had nothing to do with the syllabus and like the whole year found it hard. It was horrible... it was like 15 pages back to front. I studied 38 PAGES of notes, and it did not help one bit..

Computers were a piece of cake, they let us sitt near eachother and everyone was telling their answers to eachother so it was pretty pathetic. Maths on Thurs, so yepp not looking 4ward to it. :spin:
lol I think nearly every school basically got the same test papers for english and science, other subjects i'm not sure yet.
same here, I spent so much time in the holidays studying for science and turned out the questions in the trials were all irrelevant to the syllabus!

DforDANNY

HSC
Uni Grad
Well i've got my science one tomorrow, i've got 23 pages of notes but i don't think im going to even remember them, i'm wasting my time right now on facebook and this, but it doesn't really matter :p . I'll take your word on the difficulty of the exam, but i didn't prepare to a revision sheet, i just summarised the mains of the syllabus. Hopefully that would help me for hsc prep & stuff. :D

Last edited:

HSC
Uni Grad
Agreed. Geo, especially Australian Geo is terrible.
Oh gosh I seriously hate Australian geography... why can't we learn world geography instead? =P

Anyhow, to reply to this thread, I've got some of my trials back already... we did them in week 9, and I gotta say, my Geography was the most disappointing (70%) so far.... and science with 61%, but assuming i did no study and didn't pay attention, perhaps it's alright...

Hayzazz

Pig Member
HSC
Woot! I got 40/50 for History, I'm ranked 25th out of 150!!

May not seem like much, but I always fail History, so this time I worked extra hard on it and finally got a decent mark!

Official

Bring it on
HSC

May not seem like much, but I always fail History, so this time I worked extra hard on it and finally got a decent mark!
Same school, same mark, same rank for History. 25th/150 should easily get mid band-6 I think.

silence--

HSC
how do you guys know all the ranks? D:

42 for that same test, i lost like 5 marks on the last question because i wrote about the wrong stuff lol

FTW

HSC

Same school, same mark, same rank for History. 25th/150 should easily get mid band-6 I think.
how do you guys know all the ranks? D:

42 for that same test, i lost like 5 marks on the last question because i wrote about the wrong stuff lol
^^^^^^ same school and same good marks much?

lezah

HSC
I got 49/50 for history! Really happy about it because history's my worst subject. I'm still waiting on Science results.

DforDANNY

HSC
Uni Grad
Just finished all my trials, got my yearlies left over the next couple days going on through to next week.

But i have to say, GEOGRAPHY was such a @^(!. Half the content we never covered, and needless to say my teacher doesn't teach. The amount of extended responses were crazy too (they provided 5 pages for the last, 15mark question) as well as 2 other responses, and a very confusing multiple choice (the printer did a shit job).

* i think my trial paper was written by the school, wouldn't have had the same problem if we used a proper, bos allocated one. :(

other than that, I LOVE MY LIFE.

HiHaii

HSC
one more trial exam to go and that's computing. haha I don't really care much, should be a piece of cake.
history and geography was easy, there's a lot of extended response though
maths was alright

lpodnano

5eva alone
HSC
Marks received so far and rankings.
Math- 87% - 1st
Geography- 89% - 5th
English- 84% - Unsure... very disappointed at that mark since i could improve from my short story.
Science- 87%- 4th very disappointed.

Awaiting history. doing computing test tomorrow.

I haven't started studying for School Cert. yet. Should i be worried? I really can't be bothered. I will start tomorrow.

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
Just finished all my trials, got my yearlies left over the next couple days going on through to next week.

But i have to say, GEOGRAPHY was such a @^(!. Half the content we never covered, and needless to say my teacher doesn't teach. The amount of extended responses were crazy too (they provided 5 pages for the last, 15mark question) as well as 2 other responses, and a very confusing multiple choice (the printer did a shit job).

* i think my trial paper was written by the school, wouldn't have had the same problem if we used a proper, bos allocated one. :(

Miss taught human rights and reconciliation on last day but you were away. Lol, IST yearlies was intense; 15 MC, 15 definitions and perpetual number of short and extended response questions in 1HR. Skipped like 3 questions. FML not LOVE MY LIFE. I spent more time contemplating during the test like, spend less time in IST playing DotA and CS. Most of the things outlined in the test required rote learning. Did you find Richard's pink gatsby yet? :S I just noticed that BoS altered its website template and I'm finding it arduous to adjust.

Last edited:

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad

The school did a pathetic job with the English stimulus booklet (especially the genes section, font was definately too diminutive), in Geography I spent more time flicking through the pages to answer the multiple choice because they paper was attached to booklet. On that notion, I quite sure that the Geography trials were provided by the BoS because the extended response addressed the question, "a trade link - government and non government involvement" or something along that discretion. For the implementation of future Aboriginal reconciliation, I wrote complete non-sense.

Hayzazz

Pig Member
HSC
The school did a pathetic job with the English stimulus booklet (especially the genes section, font was definately too diminutive), in Geography I spent more time flicking through the pages to answer the multiple choice because they paper was attached to booklet.
Couldn't you have just taken out the staple? ._.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)