travelling...where to start??? (1 Viewer)

xoxo

HSC
ok well i am what you would call a novice traveller...iv basically been to NSW[in which i live], ACT and a few km into QLD...iv never been on a plane and my first time will b going to America in 2008

so what i wanna ask is how do i go about organising this thing?
where/how do i apply for a passport?
how much is it?
any good travel agents?
etc etc

:confused:

i have no idea

any help would b great
thanx

PatG

HSC
To get a passport you need to get a form from a post office. I can't remember how much it is but it's cheaper if you're under 18. It also depends on how soon you need it.

When I went away my school organised all the travelling aspects as it was a rugby tour so I can't help you with travel agents.

AntiHyper

Revered Member
HSC
I just paid for my passport application today, costed me $193 for a passport that is valid for 10 years. Also note, "Application fee does not guarantee an Australian passport" meaning I might have wasted my money.

Indeed I've done the interview a couple times before but they turned me back for "No whiteouts allows" then the next one "Birth certificate is needed".

The birth cert. part confused me because I wasn't born here and upon reading the requirements time & time again it stated that I would ONLY need the certificate of citizenship if I was born overseas. So I had to dig up a pool of documents to find and photocopy my birth certificate plus translations.

Today I got another person doing the interview, this time they said that I don't need the birth cert. I'm just pissed off at the person who turned me back for it in the 1st place (it's probably because i'm not white).

James747

HSC
Well, I have plenty of advice when it comes to which airline to fly. (Abit off topic but anyway) To the USA, I recommend Cathay Pacific, Singapore Airlines and Qantas in that order. They all offer PTV's and have excellent customer service. And a good safety record too.

Try to avoid US airlines if possible, their service is really bad. Safety record....well, united's plane got crashed into the WTC.....

xoxo

HSC
James747 said:
Well, I have plenty of advice when it comes to which airline to fly. (Abit off topic but anyway) To the USA, I recommend Cathay Pacific, Singapore Airlines and Qantas in that order. They all offer PTV's and have excellent customer service. And a good safety record too.

Try to avoid US airlines if possible, their service is really bad. Safety record....well, united's plane got crashed into the WTC.....
lol yeh very true
we were thinking of either Qantas or Singapore...
how much approx would these tickets cost? return of course..

HSC
James747 said:

yeah, that was really united's fault. those fuckers, they knew those blacks were gonna fly those planes into those towers and they didn't do anything about it! :rolleyes:

and qantas' service is shit.

JaredR

Save Sderot
HSC
When it comes to travelling I think it's first essential that you see all your own country has to offer, the main reason for this is, that you most probably will be backpacking and meeting lots of others on your travels abroad. The common interest amongst travellers is their away from their homeland, and as such it is a focus point for conversation.

It'd be nice to be able to sustain a conversation about your home country, and reccommend a few good places to go when travelling abroad.

Good luck with your travels.

James747

HSC
xoxo said:
lol yeh very true
we were thinking of either Qantas or Singapore...
how much approx would these tickets cost? return of course..
I'd suggest Singapore. They have great service and have on demand entertainment, meaning you can pause, fast-forward, rewind, etc..... and they'll be flying their A380 (the double decker plane) into SYD by the end of this year so you might want to experience it..... =P

In terms of cost, it largely depends on what time you're travelling, ie high season or low season. Singapore Airlines tends to be just slightly cheaper, but when you take into account the extra fuel surcharges the airlines are introducing, the costs don't have a great difference.

jebbie

imrad. yourerad. letshug.
HSC
Yeh you get your passport through the PostOffice. You need to fill out the forms have valid identification. Have photos for the passport (specific sizes are needed) that need to be signed by a guarentor who says that you are who you say you are. You also need to allow about a fortnight for the passport to come through cos it has to be processed. And not too sure how much teh passport costs.

I have big issues with taking off/landing. I have smallish ears and it HURTS ALOT for me. So my advice is (if you are indeed allowed to take anything on due to the new restrictions) take chewing gum/mints/something to chew/suck incase your ears hurt also. If youre sucking on a mint or chewing gum it lessens the pain and helps. Don't know why but yeh I was in agony without those things. Since youre going to America this is important cos you will probably have to do alot of Domestic flights over there (I did anyway).

Also make sure you have alot of entertainment for yourself, whether it be magazines, books, those puzzlebooks (i mean seriously i dont like those but some people do), gameboy, etc cos even though there are the movies. You willlll get bored. I'm telling you now. ESPECIALLY if there's someone next to you who decides youre interesting, and theyre.. not.

Um also, if you are flying with an American airline during domestic flights do NOT eat the meals. They are worse then the normally bad airline food, and made my 2 brothers and father (with stomaches of like. i dunno incredible durability) ill.

Additionally, you may not (it affected me and my mum but we have sensitive stomaches) btu you might get sick from a cheese called 'Jack cheese' Americans use it in cheeseburgers (or at least they did) and other meals and I love cheese. But this cheese made me throw up. But my brothers were fine so yeh, just a warning..

Thats all I can think of. Probably not too helpful but yeh. Hope it was.

k8kate

Class of 06
HSC
Yep and remember if youre gonna get do your own passport photos make sure you dont smile (ie. no teeth showing) or they go nuts at you and make you get new ones. Cos they reckon when youre going through customs (where they check ur passport photo/mug shot) youre not smiling. Pfft Im always really exciting and smiling like a nutter....
Plus when you get a passport you choose if it lasts 10 or 5 years.

jebbie

imrad. yourerad. letshug.
HSC
k8kate said:
Yep and remember if youre gonna get do your own passport photos make sure you dont smile (ie. no teeth showing) or they go nuts at you and make you get new ones. Cos they reckon when youre going through customs (where they check ur passport photo/mug shot) youre not smiling. Pfft Im always really exciting and smiling like a nutter....
Plus when you get a passport you choose if it lasts 10 or 5 years.
yeh definitely no smiling. i look like such a terrorist cos im not smiling. not quite but yeh i look stupid.

plus keep in mind it costs more for the 10 years passport.

xoxo

HSC
no smiling?! lolz i hate it when pplz dont smile in photos....always looks so bad n depressing...

thanx for all the advice tho...and that lil tips jebbie

does anyone know how much return tickets would cost...in the middle of the year?
and what is low and high season??

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
when are you travelling to the states, summer, winter or in between? What places are you looking to go? What's your budget? How long are you planning to stay?

Qantas' service on the SYD-LA route is always pretty good. DON'T fly United especially on the SYD-LA flight. If you're going to fly domestically you can get some really great rates because in the states there are thousands of flights a day.

I'm fairly sure it's now if you're 16 and over your passport lasts for a decade which is good and bad (especially if you have a horrendous passport photo).

you can check airline's webpages to get an idea of prices. if you were to book now to fly out on Qantas on August 31st and return six months later cheapest price would be around $1800 flying economy. it all depends.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)