Travelling to gong from Sydney (1 Viewer)

barnsey88

HSC
Hey, I am considering UOW for study however i live in Sydney and don't particularly want to have to live down there. Does anyone commute to the uni from sydney when they have lectures etc? How long does it take to drive? How many times a week would i have to drive down to Wollongong? (i.e lectures and tutorials)

Cheers

neuro_logik

HSC
from where i live it takes 1hr 10 minutes, but im planning to live down there (if i make it in :p ), and where im going to stay it takes like 10minutes drive to get there.

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
i would recomend train unless you live in suthern sydney, cause you can do some work on train. Then again, the train can be dangerous late at night.

some tutorials are avaliable in the loftus campus in south sydney

number of lectures/tutes depends on your degree

ziggyboy

HSC
A lot of students travel to Wollongong from Sydney on a daily basis. This shouldn't be a problem. There are also car pools available.

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
I used to drive 2 and a bit hours most days from Sydney to UOW and although you think it sucks, you just get used to it and it doesn't really bother you after a while. But if you are driving down, make sure you've got a CD Player or if listening to JJJ, make sure you have the sydney frequency and also the Wollongong frequency because you'll lose the sydney freq. just as you hit Mt Ousley.

santaslayer

HSC
I go by train...from Hurstville station it goes directlty to Nrth Wollongong Station where you can take the bus or walk to campus...about 15mins walk...bus comes every 20 mins or so...

suz

HSC
i drive too, it takes me bout 50-55 minutes
the drive isn't too bad, you get used to it, plus u will prob make friends who live near u n u can share the drivin.
I used to drive 4 times a week n it didn't bother me too much, it just depends how many days you can get all ur lectures and tutes in. Petrol is a bitch but!
here's hopin for three now :)

ziggyboy

HSC
Raiks said:
I used to drive 2 and a bit hours most days from Sydney to UOW and although you think it sucks, you just get used to it and it doesn't really bother you after a while. But if you are driving down, make sure you've got a CD Player or if listening to JJJ, make sure you have the sydney frequency and also the Wollongong frequency because you'll lose the sydney freq. just as you hit Mt Ousley.
And you'd probably want to make sure you don't leave any uni stuff at home! Living close by is convenient, I just go back if I realise I'd forgotten an assignment or something...

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
Yay for not having a car/licence, so not worrying about petrol prices.

Once Premier Illawarra and Cityrail start increasing prices though, I'll raise hell! :D!

persephone

HSC
how much does it cost to catch a train back and forth for 3 years? i put uow as one of my preferences but i live in south west sydney, so i may have to wake up early to catch the train down. Do you think many lectures or tutorials finish late, late enough that it'll be dark when you're on the train?

santaslayer

HSC
persephone said:
how much does it cost to catch a train back and forth for 3 years? i put uow as one of my preferences but i live in south west sydney, so i may have to wake up early to catch the train down. Do you think many lectures or tutorials finish late, late enough that it'll be dark when you're on the train?
It costs me $23.50 a week from Hurstville station to North Wollongong. You can hopefully avoid late nights by choosing your tutorials and lectures correctly. (depending on your chosen course). If the reason behind your question is because of security concerns then it isn't really too bad. A lot of people travel on the train late at night. It starts getting lonely in the 9:16pm train...usually because of 8:30 finishes...

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
ziggyboy said:
And you'd probably want to make sure you don't leave any uni stuff at home! Living close by is convenient, I just go back if I realise I'd forgotten an assignment or something...
You just don't forget... it's quite simple. Although now i've only got a 45-50min drive to uni so its much better.

Pudgedog

if your south west, (i.e. you gotta catch an east hills line to wolli creek then change) your better off taking the bus that leaves at 7:10, it'll take about an hour (compared to a two hour train ride) and cost about $5 per trip if you got a concession card.

which you'll have.

santaslayer

HSC
Pudgedog said:
if your south west, (i.e. you gotta catch an east hills line to wolli creek then change) your better off taking the bus that leaves at 7:10, it'll take about an hour (compared to a two hour train ride) and cost about $5 per trip if you got a concession card.

which you'll have.
From Ingleburn, that is. :p

OMFG, they closed the Ziff thread....and all I wanted to do was to bag hell outta him...

*looks at utilising PM's and MSC instead*

Snapwizard

Snapy
HSC
santaslayer said:
From Ingleburn, that is. :p
OMFG, they closed the Ziff thread....and all I wanted to do was to bag hell outta him...
*looks at utilising PM's and MSC instead*
OMG ~~ whos this Ziff guy that we're all gonna bad out? :)

BTW taking the train is a blast ~~ ;) You'll the extra 2 hrs of sleep u get each day

santaslayer

HSC
Snapwizard said:
OMG ~~ whos this Ziff guy that we're all gonna bad out? :)

BTW taking the train is a blast ~~ ;) You'll the extra 2 hrs of sleep u get each day
The turd in year 12 that I saw hanging aroung OUR library.

Real names kristian...or christian...or whateva.

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
santaslayer said:
The turd in year 12 that I saw hanging aroung OUR library.

Real names kristian...or christian...or whateva.
don't know know him, even though his profile says he is from smith's hill

santaslayer

HSC
Yeah, coz he's still in yr 12....he just uses our library resources....

he caught me on BoS on one of the computers....he was just full staring at me and i thought he had gay intentions or something...:p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)