Travelling - Money Questions (1 Viewer)

dior1

HSC
N/A
For all those who have travelled or who are planning to go shortly, what are you doing to maximise your funds??

I'm currently earning a pretty small amount per week, but plan on putting around $100-$150 per month in a 7% interest account. ATM I have around $1500 which I've saved since I've been working, but I also have another $1500 in another account which i cannot touch (yet).

So I'm wondering what can I do to save heaps of money for travelling O/S in 2010 (only in Yr 11 so have a little while to get my funds together). I'd really appreciate your money saving tips =D

ALSO:
I'm thinking when I get home from my few months overseas, and move to the city.. how am i going to afford accommodation. obviosuly i'll get a job there, but it would surely be hard having just spent all my savings and starting from scratch...

any experiences you can share?

milocole

Plane Nut
HSC
Good work on the forward planning, great to hear you are putting money away now.

Maximising my funds, are putting them into a Commonwealth Bank NetSaver. Put $2000 in there, earn around $20 month, its 7.???%!! (this is all my overseas money as well)

Getting 2causal jobs is good, cause on Holidays you are likely to reel-in heaps of $$

Last edited:

dior1

HSC
N/A
yeah thats the same account i'm using for my savings. and then i just keep a small amount in my keycard account, so im not tempted to spend heaps :p

HSC
dior1 said:
yeah thats the same account i'm using for my savings. and then i just keep a small amount in my keycard account, so im not tempted to spend heaps :p
i do the same thing, have around $100 on my keycard, and then put a set amount per week in my netbank saver. Except a combination of driving lessons and not working much at the moment are preventing me from being able to save.
Hopefully I can get a fulltime job at the end of the year *hopefully*

Peartie

HSC
just save money - i know there are accounts where u can say u want x amount by x day and you cant touch it until that amount and/or that day......

but re working OS make sure you get visas!

Accommodation: if youre going to work look for jobs that might give you accommodation and/or food...that always helps the budget...

other idea: get hostel membership if you're going to spend alot of time in them...it saves you like 3 bucks a night but over a long period of time it saves u a fair bit. The other option with hostels is that many will give you FREE accommodation if you help out for like 3 hours doing some cleaning jobs....

rozymisty

HSC
I am goin to NZ in November this year. I definately need to save up money pronto.

Got cheap airfare to Christchurch $200 including tax, so thats good. Havent booked my ticket back yet, coz im not sure if I will get time to do both islands. Definately want to go to Milford sound.

Peartie

HSC
I know alot of countries need proof of being able to get home before you get in.....don't know about NZ though

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
Keep saving up!! Only smart people have a savings account. Most people these days rely on credit cards to act rich, but in reality they live in shit.

JaredR

Save Sderot
HSC
I put my money into different accounts. I have a Commonwealth Streamline, AwardSaver and Netbank Saver. I used my AwardSaver for my funds for Israel, my Netbank Saver for my funds for Switzerland (I am moving to Switzerland in 2010) and my Streamline for day to day spending.

I always limit the amount of money in my Streamline account should I be mugged and just so I can't impulse buy any huge items. :p

I didn't take much cash with me when I went overseas and instead relied on my EFTPOS card and withdrew money at ATMs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)