Travel pass for train & private+public buses (1 Viewer)

jaimebien

HSC
CityRail's TravelPass includes transport on buses and trains. However, does that include private buses? My travel route is as follows:

Home -> Parramatta Station: Hopkinsons Bus (private)
Parramatta Station -> Central Station (train)
Central Station -> Sydney Uni (bus)

I'm a bit confused with the different types of passes available and the combinations to pick from. Any advice would be great appreciated. :)

Edit: I called 131 500 and apparently, the TravelPass doesn't cover private buses. I was told to get a yellow TravelPass (which will cover the train ride and travel within the city) and also a private bus ticket. The TravelPass has to be purchased weekly ($23.50) as only then are concession rates applied, not for quarterly or yearly tickets.

Last edited:

whatashotbyseve

It all counts
HSC
I would assume that private isn't covered, but you would be eligible for half-fare for the private bus journey because you are a student.

Edit: do you even need a TravelPass then? Just get off at Redfern and walk to Sydney uni. It isn't that far. Then you will only need a standard train ticket and your private bus ticket.

Last edited:

h3da

HSC
CityRail's TravelPass includes transport on buses and trains. However, does that include private buses? My travel route is as follows:

Home -> Parramatta Station: Hopkinsons Bus (private)
Parramatta Station -> Central Station (train)
Central Station -> Sydney Uni (bus)

I'm a bit confused with the different types of passes available and the combinations to pick from. Any advice would be great appreciated. :)

Edit: I called 131 500 and apparently, the TravelPass doesn't cover private buses. I was told to get a yellow TravelPass (which will cover the train ride and travel within the city) and also a private bus ticket. The TravelPass has to be purchased weekly ($23.50) as only then are concession rates applied, not for quarterly or yearly tickets.
Easy solution? Drive? doesn't state transit have bus from your home to station?Btw L20 (bus) goes to city from parra

jaimebien

HSC
luxslash89, haha. It's worse when it's hot, but otherwise, it's tolerable. Travel time comes up to only about an hour anyway.

h3da, no, there aren't state buses from my home to the station. I haven't got a car yet but when I do, I might be looking at driving between home and the station as another solution.

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
Edit: do you even need a TravelPass then? Just get off at Redfern and walk to Sydney uni. It isn't that far. Then you will only need a standard train ticket and your private bus ticket.
yeah, there's not much point going to the extra expense of buying a travelpass to cover the brief trip from central to usyd when you can just train to redfern and walk from there.

Miss Winey

HSC
Yellow travel pass + extra for private bus is the way to go!

another option = half yearly/quarterly train ticket only (goes to about <$16/week) + travel10blue (if you want to catch a bus from central as you don't want to talk to wallace theatre from Redfern)
+ bus ticket for hopkinsons.

I've tried the second option before, it is cheaper (by about $3/week)
but i'm lazy and i go out on weekends,
and sometimes i want to catch the ferry home
so i grab the yellow travelpass

jaimebien

HSC
Yeah, I think I'll stick with the yellow travel pass + private bus pass. I looked up google maps and it says it takes about 20 mins to walk from Redfern Station to Fisher Library. (I do an arts degree so I think I'll be closer to Fisher Library than the south of the university.) Anyway, those 20 mins can really add up when you're carrying books and walking in the sun, can't they?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)