Transitioning from Yr 11 to Yr 12 (with some issues) and in need for advice (1 Viewer)

tazmim

HSC
I'm going to the HSC years within two weeks... with my Anxiety Disorder and Depression. Although I can usually manage to push my depression, my anxiety attacks give me horrid aftermaths. I lose a lot of energy to even walk to get food, get sleepier much easier and doesn't help I lose my appetite as well. :(
I've been a good student (despite what I have to deal with) up until Year 11, all due to anxiety and muckups. I thought I wouldn't mention getting help because I believed the stress gave me good results all this time until panic attacks became more frequent (since Year 11 was a big issue to me) and I'd lose so much energy, i'd lose concentration and motivation. Year 11 was a mixed year for me in terms of grades. I realised I was being too hard on myself for picking Advanced Maths, Advanced English, 3 Sciences [and an elective of VA (which I'm going to drop)] so I decided to switch to Standard English for HSC. The only thing I have kicked arse in the finals was in Adv Maths. I mean, except for Adv English and Art I managed to stay average-above average in these subjects with an occasional smashed assessment task but I still didn't stand out as I did before. I got so many 90's before now I'm thrown with 70's :( (with an occasional EXACT 80). I really want to get a good ATAR, one that reflects the marks I USED to get (a bunch of 90's... maybe other than english. still dont know why i chose advanced haha)

I have gotten a psychologist which I go to but I can't go to him all the time, also considering I stay at home more often so have to deal with an uncaring dad and an egoistic pestering sister. Anyone have advice to deal with anxiety [specifically General Anxiety Disorder] and HSC?

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
One thing you can do is apply for anxiety/depression in the HSC. I'm pretty sure they give you breaks during the exam to calm down which should help improve your results.

calamebe

HSC
Yeah, and you can get rooms to yourself for the exams, which would be helpful for your anxiety.

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
This is what I've learnt from seeing two friends who has and are suffering from anxiety and depression - you're going to be severely unmotivated if you let your mental health control you. I know that may sound insensitive but I'm not telling you to "just suck it up", I'm reminding you that you must push on if the HSC is that important to you, because it would be terrible to see you experience what my friends are experiencing - a 40 ATAR estimate and having no where to really go to fix it and hit their 80 goal.

Crank up the counselling. Seek out medical help - consider medication even. Make sure to lean on your friends and family.

Last edited:

Simorgh

HSC
I think you can also get extra time as well. Whether you get extra time in terms of your actual test paper like say you get 15 minutes more writing time on your English paper or extra time based solely on rest breaks but same time for your test paper, I am actually not sure.

tazmim

HSC
Thank you! WrittenLoveLetters I completely understand, it's not being insensitive. Mental illnesses should be taken as seriously as physical illnesses as it can affect someone's marks highly and it's bad to beat around the bush for either. The main problem is how my family treats my illnesses though, unfortunately. On the final's I got 68 for Biology (I got 75-80's previously) because my sister is loud, annoying and always bought her friends over, and she also made my library card locked out because she didnt want to return her books so I couldnt borrow any biology resources (which used to help me a lot because biology is example dependent) and she proceeded to make fun of me that I failed. My dad doesn't care about my education and he takes 'go with the flow' saying literally so he doesnt need to take me to tutoring or control my sister. I'm trying to get my Maths tutor to convince my dad not to be deadbeat so hopefully I'll get it under control before HSC :) I'll think about meds, I probably need it immeditaely since I can't get appointments as I have to go to the USA for medical reasons (Autism) in Summer Holidays.

@ Simorgh That sounds pretty helpful, but I hope they let people take meds during the breaks since anxiety is a bit impossible to tame under 5 minutes without meds.

Simorgh

HSC
@ Simorgh That sounds pretty helpful, but I hope they let people take meds during the breaks since anxiety is a bit impossible to tame under 5 minutes without meds.
Yes forgot to mention they do let people take rest breaks for Medication.

You can have a look here what they specifically have provisions for. http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/disability-provisions/case-study.html#learning

Remember there is no shame in taking these special provisions. So I highly suggest by all means apply for them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)