Transgenic species HELP!!! (1 Viewer)

animerocker

HSC
HELP ME PLEASE!!!
MY teacher recommended to the class that we need two examples of plants and two examples of animals that are transgenic species. However I only one of each. PLease Give me some suggestions.

Matrob

HSC
Supersalmon (grows ridiculously fast) - good cause there's loads of ethical stuff you can talk about with regards to how it would screw up the normal salmon population if they were ever released in the wild.

There was also some strawberry one which was resistant to the cold so they could grow them in new parts of the world.

I had a whole list in my notes somewhere... Amazing how quick I erased it from my memory once I was done lol.

carmot

HSC
Bt cotton: contains a gene from a bacterium which produces a toxin that only works against its main pest, the Heliothis larvae. Greatly reduces the amount of pesticide sprayed on cotton crops.

The super salmon example from above: I think it was due to insertion of a bovine growth hormone gene.

Golden rice: scientists inserted a gene (can't remember where from) which leads to production of enough beta-carotene in rice to meet daily vitamin A requirements.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)