• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Transformer Efficiency (1 Viewer)

hectic18

HSC
N/A
Hey there :)

I've done a thread search, but I still have some doubs about two different types of transformers and their efficiencies.
http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/2079/simpleij0.gif
Now in this one, seems like sources of inefficiency arise from eddy currents in the iron coil, heatloss/copper loss, and coupling.

--------

2.http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/1379/secondaryin6.jpg
But what about the sources of efficiency in this one one? (is my diagram even correct? xD) Does the iron core function in the same way as the coil (and thus have the same sources of inefficiency?

Hope my post sounds understandable lol. Cheers!

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
if the 2nd one is a transformer, then notices that you need a manual labour, or a motor to put the rod in and out constantly to induce and AC in the 2ndary coil... which is really inefficient if you think about it...

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
1. Quite inefficient.

The most practical way to increase efficency in that transformer is to laminate the iron core like an onion.
laminating layer - iron layer - laminating layer - iron layer - laminating layer - iron layer and so on, they're called Toroidal transformers I think.

2. Lol a stick ...

twilight1412

HSC
the first is more efficient in your thinking about self sustaining as the second one needs manual labour but it is obvious that the second one will more more efficent in terms of conservation of power due to the closeness of the coils

btw i have seen the first one in action so it does indeed work no matter how pov it looks my teacher brought in a home made one .. it worked quite well but was not every efficient in conserving the power

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)