Transformation in H and R & G are Dead (1 Viewer)

karen88

Radioactive Queen
HSC
just wondering... what is "transformations" in hamlet and R & G are dead....?

i noe is adapting a story to a new situation... but how did tom stoppard change hamlet to fit the contemporary views?

i noe u use context to explain it but what are the different contexts... and does anyone have any idea on why stoppard transformed the texts?

nwatts

HSC
Your English teacher really should have told you a lot of this.

I see 'transformations' as the process of adaptation with relation to values and ideas. Stoppard has taken a text written in Elizabethan times, that holds to Elizabethan values, and then transformed it into his text written from his existentialist background and the values surrounding it. Contemporary views on God and the afterlife are effectively represented in Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead, which translate very differently to the views Elizabethan writers have. One simple example - Hamlet has a very clear and obvious belief in an afterlife. Both R and G reject the idea of an afterlife. Guil says "death followed by eternity, the worst of both worlds", realising his meaningless existence, and the meaningless 'nothing' that will suceed it.

Also, 'noe' is spelt 'know'. And it's best to refer to the topic as 'the transformation from Hamlet to Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead' - it makes much more sense that way.

pungpui

HSC
LOL R&G are dead....wat a load of SHIT!! I saw the play...omfg i fell asleep in the first 10 minutes...heads....heads....heads....OMG!!!

HSC
N/A
*raises eyebrow*

Could you have possibly said it any more tactfully? I saw a film version of R&G, and thought it was quite clever - even though I didn't like the HSC module.

imano

hey im just wondering has anyone did a speec about powerplay

pungpui

HSC
LOL believe me...i saw the play wit 5 friends in 2003...didnt even know it was a hsc text (thank god i didnt do it!!!) and even the girl who was sitting next to me (who ended up with UAI 100 last year) was counting down the minutes till intermission with me...now im not saying that since she got UAI 100 shes the queen of everything...just stating it as in interesting fact.

and btw im being cynical...did u notice...

nwatts

HSC
pungpui said:
LOL R&G are dead....wat a load of SHIT!! I saw the play...omfg i fell asleep in the first 10 minutes...heads....heads....heads....OMG!!!
Ah, no. You must have seen a crappy production. It's a superb play. That's the objective truth, not my opinion. :)

pungpui said:
...and even the girl who was sitting next to me (who ended up with UAI 100 last year) was counting down the minutes till intermission with me...
Oh dear me. If someone who scored a UAI of 100 thought it was bad, it must be. Remind me to take advice from crazy nerds next time I go to a play, OK?

pungpui said:
and btw im being cynical...did u notice...
Really? No! I don't believe it for a second. There's obviously lightyears between you and your 'UAI 100' friend.

imano said:
hey im just wondering has anyone did a speec about powerplay
Wrong forum, buddy.

Last edited:

pungpui

HSC
HA! its a good production?? Thats probably coz u live in the gong and a man going 'heads...heads...heads...' is probably the most exciting thing that happens down there!

and LOL you wanna call her a nerd?? man she'd prolly kick your ass you dont wanna piss her off! fuckin black belt tai kwan do bitch. And be nice to the nerds...they'll be your boss one day.

and lightyears between my uai 100 friend? well try 2.85 UAI marks lower...nig difference yea!

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
Stop. Now.

If you want to fight and bicker about things, do it somewhere else - via PM's or MSN - NOT in the subject forums.

pungpui, please edit the above post for profanity. It is not necessary to use that kind of language, particularly as it has no relevance to the discussion of R&G.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)