Transferring to UNSW economics? (1 Viewer)

Aj10001

Yeah..that would be great
HSC
It's a long way to the top if you wanna rock n' roll, it's a long way to the shop if

I'd really like to do economics at UNSW eventually. My UAI was 91.15, do i have any chance of transferring to it with that uai if my course marks are good?

Also, can anyone suggest what courses i might wanna do in the meantime to make the transfer easier? eg is it easier to transfer if im in a course at unsw already (or within the same faculty), as opposed to transferring from a different uni. Im looking at maybe doing a B business at UTS (kuringai) if i miss out on sydney economics (probably will)

any advice would be greatly appreciated (especially from minai because i know he is an expert in this field)

Last edited:

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Alright, If u really want to do Economics at UNSW, the best option for you is to enrol in Arts @ UNSW, because thats the closest degree u can do to Economics, because u can do 2 out of your 4 subjects each semester from the Faculty of Com&Eco in your Arts degree. Provided u transfer after 1st year, u wont be too far behind in 2nd yr, because u've already done some of ur required eco subjects. With ur UAI, and depending on next year's cutoff, u'd need to work consistantly, probably close to Distinction average to be assured of a place.
Also, the advantage of doing Arts @ UNSW rather than anything at another uni is it is more likely u'll be given full credit for ur 1st yr subjects, whereas, if transfer in from another uni, there may be a maximum amount of subjects where they will credit u for (and this may mean having to repeat some stuff in 2nd yr)

But if u dont want to run the risks or something like that, then theres nothing wrong with B.Business at UTS

Aj10001

Yeah..that would be great
HSC
Is a distinction average very difficult? i didn't work very hard to get my uai, but i dont know if i could do that well in an arts degree because it probably doesn't suit me.

How many hours a day do u think i would have to work to maintain a distinction average ( i know that is a shocker of a question to answer but give me some sort of idea of the difficulty please)

Would it be very difficult for me to transfer to economics if i did a b of business at UTS? or is it just a matter of catching up in eco (which sounds tough) if i chose to transfer from business.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
No its not very difficult..I worked probably less than I did in the HSC (in terms of consistancy) and managed 4 HD's this year. It's about just keeping up with lectures and not missing anything - so u are fully prepared for the final exams. I'm saying, its not that hard - provided u work consistantly, rather than bludge
Hours a day? hmm...on average u have a 4 day uni week, so if u do all your tutorial homework every week on Friday and Sunday (days off I assume), u should be prepared for final exams wen they come around

It wouldnt be tougher, its yes, the fact that u might have to catch up some units, which means prolonging your degree (to 4 years in order to catch up)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)