Transferring into LLB (1 Viewer)

sydneyphoenix

HSC
N/A
Just wondering after reading a few posts... if you don't get high enough UAI, I believe the option is to study one degree then apply to study for graduate law. This will take an extra year over combined law degree.
But is there way of applying for transfer after the first year or otherwise and pick up LLB to go on with your other degree like science or art? If it is possible, would it take longer then standard combined degree?

Lainee

HSC
if you don't get high enough UAI, I believe the option is to study one degree then apply to study for graduate law.
First of all, this is incorrect. As I understand it, the transfer option refers to studying one year in any other undergraduate course and then tranfer into combined law.

Graduate Law is a different option all together - it necessiates the completion of any other undergraduate degree.

But is there way of applying for transfer after the first year or otherwise and pick up LLB to go on with your other degree like science or art? If it is possible, would it take longer then standard combined degree?
The only way to tranfer into a combined law degree is after your first year (only after first year, after second year this option is gone) study in another undergraduate degree.

As for whether it takes longer to complete it or not, I'm not exactly sure, though my guess is that unless you overload your second year schedule (or summer classes, if that option is open) to take into account 1st year law subjects that you missed out on, there is a chance that it may take a bit longer than the standard five years.

sydneyphoenix

HSC
N/A
Thanks Lainee.
When you apply for transfer after the first year, about how good a UAI and first year average would you need to have a good shot at transfer into LLB?

guesswho

HSC
If you get a uai of 98 and a distinction average in your first year of uni, that should secure you a place.

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
i think they take 50% from your uai and 50% from your uni average,
they have a certain number of transfer places, so the marks u need change according to the callibre of the cohort each year,
however they don't take into account the difficulty of your uni course, which is prettyslack on their behalf

Lainee

HSC
gordo said:
i think they take 50% from your uai and 50% from your uni average,
they have a certain number of transfer places, so the marks u need change according to the callibre of the cohort each year
During the law lecture on Info Day (USyd), Ron McCallum was saying how successful transfer numbers are extremely erratic. In the year before last, not a single person managed to transfer and the year before that about a dozen people tranferred in. I think he was implying that transfering into USyd law (and most others) is largely dependant on whether you're in luck and someone vacates a place, or not. :)

however they don't take into account the difficulty of your uni course, which is prettyslack on their behalf
Difficulty is a subjective matter as this thread shows (http://www.boredofstudies.org/community/showthread.php?t=61188) so they really can't take into account the difficulty of the course because it isn't something that can be measured.

Last edited:

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
lol, i nvr went to open day =/
i nvr even knew i would include law in my degree until the day our preferences had to be in (5 jan i think)

oh, and come on... someone with a distinction average in agricultural management and someone with a distinction in brain surgery...i think they should at least mediate
but they ignore it completely

Lainee

HSC
gordo said:
oh, and come on... someone with a distinction average in agricultural management and someone with a distinction in brain surgery...i think they should at least mediate
but they ignore it completely
Probably not the fairest of systems, but better than having to decide which course is more difficult than which... can you imagine inter-faculty squabbling "how dare you say Economics is more difficult than History?!" It's not like you can compare things like music and engineering - they use totally difficult faculties in the brain (whose to say one intelligence is more desirable than the other?!) Think about it :p

CrashOveride

HSC
Im doing combined actuarial studies at maq and am possibly contemplating a transfer into combined law (had the uai for it at unsw in the 1st place) if actuarial doesnt turn out too well after a year. If you dont know, actuarial is like one of the hardest degrees you can do. And i agree with gordo here...because getting D's and esp. HD's in actuarial is much harder than doing the same in some arts degree or some other generic course.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)