Transferring from Economics to Commerce? (1 Viewer)

candygirl__ali

HSC
N/A
Hi guys! Hope you can help me out today!

So I'm currently enrolled in an economics degree, but I would like to do a commerce degree because everyone says there's more choice in it, more prestigious etc

One of my older friends told me I could just do commerce courses in my economics degree and then transfer in to commerce - so my first semester right now is the four cores for commerce (ECON1101, MGMT1001, ACCT1501 and ECON1203)

I was just wondering - is it really that easy to transfer into commerce?

What happens to my economics degree if I can't transfer and I've done these subjects?

Because these courses overlap in both so they still count to either degree right?

And then the whole major shenanigans confuse me too so I don't know if that gets affected...

Sorry for the overload of questions!

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Hi guys! Hope you can help me out today!

So I'm currently enrolled in an economics degree, but I would like to do a commerce degree because everyone says there's more choice in it, more prestigious etc

One of my older friends told me I could just do commerce courses in my economics degree and then transfer in to commerce - so my first semester right now is the four cores for commerce (ECON1101, MGMT1001, ACCT1501 and ECON1203)

I was just wondering - is it really that easy to transfer into commerce?

What happens to my economics degree if I can't transfer and I've done these subjects?

Because these courses overlap in both so they still count to either degree right?

And then the whole major shenanigans confuse me too so I don't know if that gets affected...

Sorry for the overload of questions!
1. This: https://my.unsw.edu.au/student/academiclife/program_transfer/program_trans_ASB.html , says you need 75 WAM to be considered for a transfer into Commerce. And you also have to have done at least 36 units of credit all up, so a year of work.

70 is the average or so of marks given out, so if you're an above average student - you should be able to make 75 WAM. Also if you're not good at English, MGMT1001 will kill your WAM and transfer chances. If you are bad at it, do something else so it won't be considered and then after you're in Commerce - do management.

So, so many actuaries I've seen... slump to scraping passes or credits in that subject.

2. Nothing, you just did 4 subjects that will count towards your Economics degree - based on what you said for (3).

Last edited:

candygirl__ali

HSC
N/A
Thanks for the reply shadowdude!

So doing these courses should be okay even if i don't transfer into commerce right?

And... what does being above average entail? ;~;

Regularly studying? Do we get debriefed on tips on this in uni or do they just assume we know from high school... OTL

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Thanks for the reply shadowdude!

So doing these courses should be okay even if i don't transfer into commerce right?
Yes, I think. You have to confirm with the Handbook entry for Economics.

And... what does being above average entail? ;~;
Well think back to school. Were you a good student? Bad student? Middle of the class?

Indicator is that you have to be in the top half of the class to be sort of the person who will probably get an above average or better mark at uni.

Regularly studying? Do we get debriefed on tips on this in uni or do they just assume we know from high school... OTL
At uni they treat you like an adult. If you don't do the work, then no one cares. So with that in mind, they'll just leave you to your own devices.

Personally, I like talking to the lecturers about how best to study their subjects.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)