Transferring from B. Arts to B.Comm/B.Arts @ USYD / B.Comm to B.Comm/Law @ UNSW (1 Viewer)

xdesires

HSC
I'm an HSC student 2010. Really wanted to do the Comm/Arts degree @ USYD - that had an ATAR Cut-off of 94.5 last year. Unfortunately, I got an ATAR of 93.25 - 1.25 points under the cut-off.

I'm aware that the demand for the course may change and I might receive an offer during the second, third etc rounds. But I highly doubt it. > >; so I was wondering what are the chances of me being able to transfer from the B.Arts degree @ USYD to the double degree? and what are the requirements? (e.g. Maintain an average mark of above 75+ or something like that).

And what is the criteria and the possibilities of transferring from a Commerce degree @ UNSW to the Commerce/Law @UNSW?

Thank you in advance!

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
Transfers are not meant to be easy since many people see them as an "easy" way in, when in reality, it's exceptionally difficult.

I'm unaware of USYD's requirements, but I know for UNSW, should your ATAR fall in the mid to high 90s, you would already have to maintain at least a Distinction average to get into Combined Law. For your situation, it might be easier for you to do Graduate law (JD) if you're that interested.

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
Credit-Distinction average should be fine to get you into either - not like a D average in Comm is hard anyway.

xdesires

HSC
Thank you to both for the replies!

Hm, I just found this page regarding transfers into law programs at UNSW: http://www.law.unsw.edu.au/Future_Students/undergraduate/admissions/A07.asp
Just as slyhunter said, and with my ATAR - highly doubt the chances.

Just hoping to make it into the course at USYD. T____T"

To studentleader, I was wondering whether you know students who successfully transferred to similar degrees with an ATAR similar to mine? o.o

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
To studentleader, I was wondering whether you know students who successfully transferred to similar degrees with an ATAR similar to mine? o.o
I think ANU is the only uni which makes getting into law transfers pretty hard (someone tried to apply with a good D average and got rejected.)

Search transfer threads on http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum/80 - if I know anyone who has done it its from there.

myst1fy

HSC
N/A
you should be able to get into UNSW(edit) easily as courses are usually inflated.

Last edited:

xdesires

HSC
Thank you for the replies!

and to myst1fy, what do you mean when you say 'courses are usually inflated'? > < and 'get into easily' as in transferring or getting an offer in the main round? Thanks!

myst1fy

HSC
N/A
Thank you for the replies!

and to myst1fy, what do you mean when you say 'courses are usually inflated'? > < and 'get into easily' as in transferring or getting an offer in the main round? Thanks!
Offer in main round and by "inflated" i mean that if your ATAR is few points below the cut-off then they'll give you an offer. I.e someone gets 84 ATAR but places Comp Sci as first pref which is around 85+, then the guy gets the offer in the main round. Probably not a well explained example, but if your score is couple of points below, then there is a good chance you can get an offer. Also I meant UNSW sorry :)

ai.s2

HSC
N/A
Really? Is that really true?? Wait, do you mean that the ATARs publicized are higher than what they actually accept? What if I was like 2.5 off the publicized mark, what are the chances of getting an offer from UNSW? Cause 2.5 is a huge difference :(
haha sorry for bombarding you with questions

myst1fy

HSC
N/A
Really? Is that really true?? Wait, do you mean that the ATARs publicized are higher than what they actually accept? What if I was like 2.5 off the publicized mark, what are the chances of getting an offer from UNSW? Cause 2.5 is a huge difference :(
haha sorry for bombarding you with questions
Yes there is a very good chance with UNSW, even with 2.5 its highly possible.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)