Transferring Enquiry (1 Viewer)

Seung.Hur

H2O
HSC
Hey mates @ ANU.

I'm getting a little worried that, despite the cut-offs being substantially lower than its Sydney counterparts, that I may not manage to get into the Law/Asian Studies course at ANU.

Which if is the case, that I don't make the cut-off, I was wondering which courses would be a smart move to take instead, that'll help me transfer more easily into the Law course.

At this point in time, I've placed Economics/Asian Studies as my next preference. I felt that this would be the next best choice since I would desire to work in the international arena, and Economics appeared to be as close as I'll get; but I'm probably making a misconception here. As I understand, some of the concepts, and mathematics within Economics, perhaps would not transfer well into the Law course.

And if that's the case, then what other subjects should I consider?

Thanks in advance~

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Seung.Hur said:
Hey mates @ ANU.

I'm getting a little worried that, despite the cut-offs being substantially lower than its Sydney counterparts, that I may not manage to get into the Law/Asian Studies course at ANU.

Which if is the case, that I don't make the cut-off, I was wondering which courses would be a smart move to take instead, that'll help me transfer more easily into the Law course.

At this point in time, I've placed Economics/Asian Studies as my next preference. I felt that this would be the next best choice since I would desire to work in the international arena, and Economics appeared to be as close as I'll get; but I'm probably making a misconception here. As I understand, some of the concepts, and mathematics within Economics, perhaps would not transfer well into the Law course.

And if that's the case, then what other subjects should I consider?

Thanks in advance~
Do a degree that you'd be happy to leave university with (considering the worst case scenario, which is missing out on a transfer completely and having to study law at a post graduate level). To be honest, it doesn't matter what degree you combine law with. There's no real need to study the second degree, and if you intend on practicing, you're really only studying it more out of general interest than anything else.

Economics is fine though, there's a rather large academic school of law and economics (I recently wrote an essay on economic theories of contract law). Hell, even Kirby J is a B Eco graduate :p. Also, from what I understand, the B Eco and B Comm degrees at ANU are the same in first year, so if you transfer into law after your first year of study, you're left with some choice as to where you want to take your degree.

Last edited:

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
If you are hell bent on getting a transfer then you need to get a good GPA, which means you need to do well - so you need to select a second course that will enable you to do this. However as Neo says you must also select something you think you'll be happy doing, afterall you may not do well enough to transfer, you may decide not to do law afterall etc etc. So you ideally need something that you like that you find easy. This can be hard to find.

Given these requirements I would advise against asian studies as the language component will be time consuming and has a high failure rate. If you want to practice law then commerce might be a good bet.

Though seeing as you seem to be interested in the international arena the two obvious candidates are arts (major in International Relations/Politics) and Economics (economic development). Theory wise I think that politics and law cross more than law and economics. This said commerce major in international business is also an international bent.

Neo is incorrect as far as commerce/economics goes. The two courses do differ in the first year, both do micro1, macro1 and stat1008 however economics does econometrics (calculus, logs etc) and commerce does business reporting and analysis (a piss easy ethics course).

The applicable combinations I can think of are:

Arts/Economics
Arts/Commerce
Economics/Commerce

Or straight:

Arts
Economics
Commerce

Each of these combines nicely with law to create an internationalist combined degree.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)