Transferring Credit from TAFE to UNSW? (1 Viewer)

implicity

HSC
I studied Accounting Procedures at Tafe for my HSC.. went pretty damn well overall, and I was hoping that I'd be able to transfer some credit to uni, as I'm currently deciding upon either a B Commerce or B Commerce/B Science @ UNSW.

The modules I've completed are:
8395C Business Computing
9434C Computer Accounting Systems
9438A Accounting Procedures

Would this count for anything? I won't mention the units I've completed since there are quite alot, and I don't think they'd mean much to most people anyway.

Thanks all :)

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
implicity said:
I studied Accounting Procedures at Tafe for my HSC.. went pretty damn well overall, and I was hoping that I'd be able to transfer some credit to uni, as I'm currently deciding upon either a B Commerce or B Commerce/B Science @ UNSW.

The modules I've completed are:
8395C Business Computing
9434C Computer Accounting Systems
9438A Accounting Procedures

Would this count for anything? I won't mention the units I've completed since there are quite alot, and I don't think they'd mean much to most people anyway.

Thanks all :)
I did the same thing. I did pretty well (98%) but they still refused to even consider it.

So No, it can't be credited (I asked already). You need to be at an Advanced Diploma level before even any uni (let alone UNSW) will consider your application for transfer credits.

implicity

HSC
§eraphim said:
I did the same thing. I did pretty well (98%) but they still refused to even consider it.

So No, it can't be credited (I asked already). You need to be at an Advanced Diploma level before even any uni (let alone UNSW) will consider your application for transfer credits.
DAMN! :( That really sucks. I was hoping I'd be able to shorten my course by about.. I dunno, a fortnight or something :S My careers advisor said it is possible though, but he's not too familiar with the course :S oh well. bad luck for me.

btw I got 98 too :)

implicity

HSC
and I just noticed that you're doing a combined Comm/Sci degree @ UNSW.. out of curiosity, if I decide to do this course, but after 1 or 2 semester's decide that the science component doesn't appeal to me that much, can I just drop down to a commerce degree? and not have to extend my degree by any amount of time?

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
implicity said:
DAMN! :( That really sucks. I was hoping I'd be able to shorten my course by about.. I dunno, a fortnight or something :S My careers advisor said it is possible though, but he's not too familiar with the course :S oh well. bad luck for me.

btw I got 98 too :)
You can still use your TAFE Certificate to apply for Account's Assistant positions. Work experience is another way to get an edge.

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
implicity said:
and I just noticed that you're doing a combined Comm/Sci degree @ UNSW.. out of curiosity, if I decide to do this course, but after 1 or 2 semester's decide that the science component doesn't appeal to me that much, can I just drop down to a commerce degree? and not have to extend my degree by any amount of time?
Yeah, just fill out a form at the Student Centre (similarly when dropping from most combined commerce to normal commerce)

implicity

HSC
§eraphim said:
Yeah, just fill out a form at the Student Centre (similarly when dropping from most combined commerce to normal commerce)
Ah right, so I wouldn't have to extend my study by any amount of time, or catch up on anything? hmm. Because I want to major in Actuarial Studies, and a double major with Accounting would be excellent (if I do a straight commerce degree), although if I do a combined degree I'd want to major in maths/stats or comp sci from Science.

I'm also not sure if I should just do a straight commerce degree, major in actuarial, and come back for the honours year to fulfill part II of my qualification.. or have it included in the 4th year of a combined degree? If I do straight commerce then the workload probably won't be as intense as the combined degree, especially in the 4th year. I think.

Argh this is too confusing :S

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
1. It's difficulty to enter Actuarial Honours.
2. The combined degree would be easier (coursework>research), plus it's 2 degrees! =D
3. You can do Part 2 subjects as stand-alone extra credit (as you are aiming for professional recognition, not more Maths theory/Actuarial research)

You might have to catch up as your Math subjects won't count to anything much in normal BCom, eg. 2nd is 75% maths (core subjects). You should make up your mind by end of 1st yr (to minimise wasting subjects).

implicity

HSC
§eraphim said:
3. You can do Part 2 subjects as stand-alone extra credit (as you are aiming for professional recognition, not more Maths theory/Actuarial research)
How exactly would this work?

Lol sorry I'm a complete n00b with this..

But thanks for the advice anyway :) I'll probably just settle with the combined Comm/Sci, it's 1st on my preferences anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)