Transfering... (1 Viewer)

AcStyle*

Believe in Desire
HSC
Is it hard to transfer between courses at UNSW?

My first pref will be Commerce next yr, but i don't think i'll get the 95.5+ to get it in, so i put Arts down as well.

What results would i need to be able to transfer and what majors in Arts would i have to do so i won't be 2 far behind in Commerce?

Cheers :)

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
It's not that hard, provided ur UAI is pretty close to the cutoff, and u work consistantly throughout the year.
Say if u get a UAI of 90 and the required was 96, u'd have to get basically a distinction average or better to maximise your chance at the transfer

AcStyle*

Believe in Desire
HSC
Thanx Minai, but wot do u mean by Distinction Average? Wot mark is that?

Also, if i did an Arts course how long would i have to wait b4 i could transfer? A year? half a year?

Ac* :cool:

truly-in-bliss

my love is like woah!
HSC
same here..my onli hope is an arts degree

but minai... lyk i know heapz of pplz who are going to do an arts degre and try to transfer.... dont u think the requirement would be heapz hihger? ie: say if u do get dinstinction avg and an uai of 90... it wont be a guarantee that they will pikc u due to excess demand?

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
its all supply-and-demand (year 9, commerce... hehehe)... so yeah, best to make it straight off (if one can), or be smart like mr. minai and get HD average... ;) :p

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
HD average is not something to count on though. A Distinction average should be manageable, IF you work harder than your peers in first year. That is, no skulking off to Manning Bar during lecture time! ;)

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by AcStyle*
Thanx Minai, but wot do u mean by Distinction Average? Wot mark is that?

Also, if i did an Arts course how long would i have to wait b4 i could transfer? A year? half a year?

Ac* :cool:
In uni, your final marks are given a grade, ie
50-64 = Pass
65-74 = Credit
75-84 = Distinction
85-100 = High Distinction
Usually, u'd do 4 subjects a semester for Arts, which is 8 in total, and basically, ur marks need to end up as an average of distinction in those 8 subjects

If u did an arts course, u'd have to wait 1 year, and apply thru UAC again

Originally posted by truly-in-bliss
same here..my onli hope is an arts degree

but minai... lyk i know heapz of pplz who are going to do an arts degre and try to transfer.... dont u think the requirement would be heapz hihger? ie: say if u do get dinstinction avg and an uai of 90... it wont be a guarantee that they will pikc u due to excess demand?
Well obviosuly if ppl do that, yes the selection ranks/non recent school leaver cutoffs will increase due to the demand...I dunno the trends with this as uni's generally dont publicise the transferees cutoffs, u'll have to ask Lazarus

AcStyle*

Believe in Desire
HSC
Thanks for your feedback every1. :)

I'd imagine a lotta ppl would wanna transfer in2 Commerce, so is there a quota of places available for transfers or, if u meet da requirements you still get a place neway?

pressured

would it be easier if u did economics and then try to transfer into economics?..aren't they sort of related.??

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah if u do Economics in 1st year, the core subjects are identical to Commerce, so u'd get full credit for those subjects and subsequently, u wont be behind or anything wen u get to 2nd yr

AcStyle*

Believe in Desire
HSC
If u did Economics in yor 1st yr, would u still need a distinction average to be eligible to transfer into Commerce?

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
If u did Economics in yor 1st yr, would u still need a distinction average to be eligible to transfer into Commerce?
Well, since if u got into Economics, ur UAI wouldnt be that far off Commerce, so I guess u'd probably have a good chance if u got between a Credit and Distinction ave

pressured

wow!! dats so cool.....cuz its exactly what i'm planning to do...hoping that economics won't go up by dat much

AcStyle*

Believe in Desire
HSC
oK, i'm seriuosly expecting a UAI in da mid 80s, which is prolly good enuf 2 get into Arts. Would i still need a distinction ave. to transfer into Commerce or would i need a HD average cos the UAI is lower??

pressured

i think it would he alot harder to transfer from arts to commerce....i mean alot of ppl wanna do commerce!.....so i doubt that they're jus gonna let anyone transfer unless they realli prove
themselves to be worthy!! but i think you'll jus need a distinction average...*not sure* pls correct me if i'm wrong

Exeter

Resident Megaphone
HSC
heh, my friend that got a co-op got 65.7 for his first semester, he was shittin his pants about not making the required cred avg

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
oK, i'm seriuosly expecting a UAI in da mid 80s, which is prolly good enuf 2 get into Arts. Would i still need a distinction ave. to transfer into Commerce or would i need a HD average cos the UAI is lower??
I think u'd probably need closer to an HD average, if ur UAI is that far off the cut off for commerce, because your entrance score is based 50% UAI, 50% 1st year uni grades

Originally posted by pressured
i think it would he alot harder to transfer from arts to commerce....i mean alot of ppl wanna do commerce!.....so i doubt that they're jus gonna let anyone transfer unless they realli prove
themselves to be worthy!!
It's not harder if ur in arts or in any other degree, thats not really the point - the point is having a good grade average in 1st yr, and having a decent UAI close to the cutoff

s2ophie

HSC
Does anyone know what is the likelihood of being able to transfer from arts to International Studies? I worried that the UAI for International Studies will go up beyond my reach and i have to make a decision - do arts and hope to transfer over or go to canberra!?!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)