Transfering to B.Sci - UNSW or USyd? Decent careers? (1 Viewer)

Mr. Blonde

HSC
So I plan on transferring from UNSW Economics to B.Sci at either UNSW or USyd. I can't decide which uni to choose. I like UNSW, but if I go to USyd, will that give me a fresh start or will my current GPA still stand? I assume there's not much difference in the degrees aside from that.

Also, if I major in mathematics and chemistry (or pharmacology), will that give me decent career prospects, with an additional honours year? I figure that if the chem/pharm part can't get me a job in research, perhaps the maths part will get me a financial job or something. Or I'll just continue working in a supermarket. Yaya.

Edit: also, does anyone know anything about USyd's Financial Mathematics & Statistics major? It looks pretty good.

Last edited:

adnan91

HSC
ok this is for usyd:

want a career? yes do honours, get involved in evrything u can. get into the TSP( talented student program) <- this is a must. internship

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
I did honours in maths and majored in chemistry. I would say that if you get good results, you'll definitely get a good job (although I am currently continuing on with postgrad studies).

As for the financial maths major, it is hard to say. It is certainly a nice major, but currently there is a bit of a crisis with financial maths at USyd. However, given you'll be in 2nd year (I guess), they will sorted out and everything should be normal by the end of this year.

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
Only chance of getting a good job with a bachelour of science is if you do honours or Post doctoral studies.

NEVAGIVEUP

HSC
Without a doubt; Sydney!!

I mean i have no idea of the standards of the faculty of science/engineering; i mean i don't even know much about my own faculty...yet but, it has to be Sydney. which will then answer your next your question: decent career?! Is that even a question? I mean graduation from Sydney...OFCOURSE!:headbang:

Sorry for being bias:)

Mr. Blonde

HSC
Yeah, I'm also curious as to what they majored in. I'd like to end up working in a bank with a Science degree. That'd be great.

Also Templar, you mentioned USyd's Financial Maths major is having some problems. Do you know what sort of problems? Is it just because it's a new major so no one really knows what they're doing yet?

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
Maths, physics, chemistry...any of the traditional science disciplines really. People hire you for your science degree. You can work for them as quantitative analyst if that's your background, or even as normal graduate analysts.

For starters, there is no staff in financial maths, but that should be fixed by semester two.

Tim035

HSC
If this is a limiting belief then by all means correct me, but I believe a lot of the conotations surrounding B.sc and job prospects arise from the majority of people that do a science degree. These are typically your quiet, not overly self confident, keep to themselves kind of people, sure they are smart but they don't know the first thing about selling themselves and so continue in to jobs that suit the reality they have mapped for themselves- self working lab staff on 45k a year. I have some friends who graduated with a B.sc and have since done just some short courses in buisness and finance, they are all extremely passionate, full of energy, fun to be around people, working in sales, marketing and other various positions within the pharmaceutical and biotech industry. If you want to make it in science you can, if you don't then you can join the rest of the lab monkeys earning government wages.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)