Transfering to another course! (1 Viewer)

BrotherBear

Hi,
I am doing B Civil/Environmental Engineering at UNSW this year.....

already 4 weeks into it, im already hating it! especially MATH1131 and CVEN1023. Because it is SO hard :(, I have already drawn the conclusion i will fail these subjects :(

I only chose this course because my UAI (78.65) was so low and this was pretty much the only reasonable course i could get into.....

so now I am hoping to transfer to a B Science course, how would I go about doing this?

I have heard that i need to wait until next year and then apply to UAC again, and I have also heard I need to get 48 UOC before they consider anything I have done in Uni for my new UAI score? is this true?:confused:

Thanks.

TheKey

HSC
yeh i aslo heard something like that except i think you need UOC from subjects that are relevant to ur new course otherwise you will basically start with your new course from the start and lose 1 year...but in any case they usually want you to get credit average or something.

also i heard they use a combination of ur UAI and your uni marks, so depending on your UAI and the course your trying to get into is what determines if u need a pass, credit or distinction average in your current course to do the transfer.

i also wanna know how to calculate what unimarks u need to do the transfer.. like i wanna go from elec eng/science to elec eng/commerce or something business related, my UAI was 89.3 and commerce is like 96 so anyone know how to calculate what u unimark u need?

theone123

blue essence
HSC
Originally posted by BrotherBear
Hi,
I am doing B Civil/Environmental Engineering at UNSW this year.....

already 4 weeks into it, im already hating it! especially MATH1131 and CVEN1023. Because it is SO hard :(, I have already drawn the conclusion i will fail these subjects :(

I only chose this course because my UAI (78.65) was so low and this was pretty much the only reasonable course i could get into.....

so now I am hoping to transfer to a B Science course, how would I go about doing this?

I have heard that i need to wait until next year and then apply to UAC again, and I have also heard I need to get 48 UOC before they consider anything I have done in Uni for my new UAI score? is this true?:confused:

Thanks.
u should of done a better course at UWS, that way u wouldnt FAIL and enjoy what u realli want to do, and then transfer to the course/uni of ur choice + academic merit

RCMasterAA

I vant to suck your blood
HSC
I don't think it's possible to transfer into another course at this time. Reason is although I just transferred into Comp Sci/Mechatronics last week, they wouldn't let me do COMP1011 cause it was already past the date when you could last enrol so I have to do COMP1011 next session and COMP1021 in summer in order to catch up to a normal Comp Sci/Mechatronics person.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
whats UOC? is that like *thinks* units of credit or something?
so is 48 units based on 8 subjects this yr (ie, 4/semester)?

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by hipsta_jess
whats UOC? is that like *thinks* units of credit or something?
so is 48 units based on 8 subjects this yr (ie, 4/semester)?
yeah, or maybe less depending on if youre doing a single or combined degree

Farnarcle

For a full time student 24 units or credit semester is the norm. That could be 4 subects or anything up to 7 or 8. I'm doing 5, which is the normal subjects for first year Mech. Eng.

EDIT: nice picture babydoll. :)

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
alright..im just confused,thats all, coz we operate on a different credit system
1 subject = 10 CP

so if im doing 30 units this semester (which is considered full time) and 40 next semester (which is considered normal) will I be right to apply to transfer? Or will I need to do 50 next semester to make up my 80 (48) credit points for the year?

Farnarcle

I'm sure if your considered full-time it'll be allright. But you'd better ask someone at your uni first, just to be sure. I wouldn't want you blaming me for anything. :)

Another way to look at it is the number of hours a week you have classes. I have 24 hours of classes a week, or the 24 units. My friend (whos doind arts) only has to come in for 13, but he's still doing 24 units. 2 of those hours is a moive viewing.

Go figure.

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Farnarcle
nice picture babydoll. :)
Originally posted by hipsta_jess
alright..im just confused,thats all, coz we operate on a different credit system
1 subject = 10 CP

so if im doing 30 units this semester (which is considered full time) and 40 next semester (which is considered normal) will I be right to apply to transfer? Or will I need to do 50 next semester to make up my 80 (48) credit points for the year?
if you wanna come to UNSW for sure, maybe you should call NewSouthQ and ask about transfer systems between Newy Uni and UNSW.

laney

HSC
hi brotherbear :)
dont' give up with civil yet, it's coooool!! and i'm doing it!

but seriously, if you want to change, it's going to be based on your uai. you'll have to apply to change through uac.

if you really think you're going to fail the subjects this is what you probably should to. drop the subjects before the last day to not recieve any academic penalities (ie. fail) the date for this is ummm, i can't remember, but it's coming up pretty soon.

just unenrol for the subject. you won't get a fail, but you will have only completed less UOC if you pass the rest of your subjects. you will also need to find out if you do drop down to lower UOC if you are allowed to do less than the minimum for a full time student (ie 18 UOC). don't drop out of the course until you speak to someone who knows a bit more about it, and see if you'll be penalised by the university for doing less UOC than required.

when you do reapply though, you will have to do this mid session or next year. try to do as many UOC you will need to do for next semester or year, so that you can receive academic standing (ie, you get credit for the subjects and won't have to waste more time). changing to a BSc may be hard. it was 80 something last year and i'm not sure what it was this year, but it could be difficult to get into. good luck

BrotherBear

yeah, im going to go see the UNSW Counselling Service about this, i was told they can advise me on what to do in this situation. :)

I found out I have until 31st March to drop a subject, and 30th April to withdraw from a subject......:confused:......what is the difference exactly?

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by BrotherBear
I found out I have until 31st March to drop a subject, and 30th April to withdraw from a subject......:confused:......what is the difference exactly?
if memory serves correctly..
31st march is the HECS census date, where u can drop a subject and not be charged HECS

30th april, last day to drop a subject without academic penalty (ie, getting a fail) but u still pay the HECS for it

BrotherBear

yeah that sounds about right.....but ill confirm with the uni to be sure on monday.

also if i continue with the course and get a 'fail' how exactly does that disadvantage me? (if at all) compared to a withdrawal?

laney

HSC
fail looks bad on your academic statment.
you'd be better off getting nothing than a fail.

santaslayer

HSC
ur issued with a piece of paper statingall the subjects u've done at uni......
looks really bad for urself and to a prospective employer if u have a FAIL next to a subject!

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by santaslayer
ehhhhh... babydoll, does ur name happen to start with an 'L' or an 'I'?
no, it doesnt

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by santaslayer
ehhhhh... babydoll, does ur name happen to start with an 'L' or an 'I'?
nah my name's nancy, what made you say that

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)