Transfering courses (1 Viewer)

HSC
Hey guys im not exactly sure how transfering courses works. I had aimed to get into B Commerce/B Economics which is 93.00, but kinda wasted the year and got 86. Now this gets me into B Economics...but how does this transfer system work so i can get into B Com/B Eco? Any help is greatly appreciated.

HSC
half your uai, half your gdp average too calculate. so for example your pretty far away from the 93 requirement (you didnt get like 91) so id aim for credit average at least.

HSC
Yeah i plan on going to uni that day. Just thought id try and figure out how this system works before then, cos i think the preferences have to be in the day after or something. Is there any info regarding this on the UNSW website? I couldnt find anything.......

bshoc

HSC
N/A
Tansfer to a lower UAI course = usually internal and little more than paperwork

Transfer to a higher UAI course = external (as in has to be done though UAC rather than whatever uni you're in), a 50/50 weighting of your UAI and your uni marks, I'm pretty sure scaling for uni courses functions somewhat like scaling for HSC subjects so there is no simple formula (though not 100% on that).

Also consider carefully what majors you want because BEc is perfect if:

1. Economics was one of them.
2. You had one major in mind, which an economics major always complements very well.

Also 86 doesen't necessarily get you into BEc, last year was an unusual slump, and is likely to go back up this year.

Last edited:

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
bshoc said:

Transfer to a higher UAI course = external (as in has to be done though UAC rather than whatever uni you're in), a 50/50 weighting of your UAI and your uni marks, I'm pretty sure scaling for uni courses functions somewhat like scaling for HSC subjects so there is no simple formula (though not 100% on that).

2. You had one major in mind, which an economics major always complements very well.

Also 86 doesen't necessarily get you into BEc, last year was an unusual slump, and is likely to go back up this year.
It's been going down each year since 2003.

haru

HSC
bshoc said:

Does that mean the option of doing B Commerce Maq and transfer to B Commerce UNSW, have the same chance as doing Economics UNSW and transfer to commerce UNSW ??

because i thought if you do Economics UNSW and transfer to Commerce UNSW, you'll get a higher chance of succeeding because you are doing an internal transfer. or am i wrong?

HSC
im not sure if uac takes it into consideration that its at the same uni.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Nah, they don't take into consideration which uni you're at, although it's an advantage to have done the first degree at the same uni, as it's much easier crediting subjects to your new degree. In the past, the Faculty of Commerce has taken the higher of UAI or first year results (GPA) in determining transfers. Unsure whether this is still the case

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Casmira said:
GPA and WAM same thing?
Not exactly...GPA is a grade point average (where HD=7, DN=6 etc), and WAM is the average of your course mark.

HSC
ah I see, isnt GPA not as accurate/solid though, what if you always scrape 75s?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)