Transfer into UWS (1 Viewer)

mrsajmon23

The Szyja
HSC
Currently 1st year in B Arts @ Macquarie. Want to transfer into UWS for either:

• B Law (Non-Grad)
  • B Business and Commerce/B Law
  • B Art/B Law
Can anyone offer some advice or insight into what my chances are?

My uai for 2008 uai for UWS was 82.20.

My GPA isn't the best.

But i have work experience and am currently working as a Legal Clerk and Translator at a Law Firm, which i assume will be taken into account?

Anyone know the possibility of me getting into UWS?

-juLie-

meep
HSC
They dont look at your UAI when you transfer. Its only used to initally get into uni. If your wanting to go from Macquarie to UWS, chances of a transfer are ok. If you wanted to start at UWS sem 1 next year your application should have already been put into UAC. Getting a transfer is not always an easy process, having done it myself and ending up with problems thanks to UWS make sure that the transfer is really what you want.

mrsajmon23

The Szyja
HSC
i've already applied through UAC, just need to send them statements from my employers.

Thing that worries me is my GPA.

my peference is BBC/BLAW or BArt/Blaw over B Law so not sure of my chances.

-juLie-

meep
HSC
They dont look only at your GPA, I managed to get a transfer with a fail on my transcript so dont stress over it too much.

mrsajmon23

The Szyja
HSC
My GPA for the whole year is really shit, chose alot of subjects which i thought i needed....

hopefully my work experience will balance it out...

are you sure they don't also count your uai aswell?

-juLie-

meep
HSC
They dont use it. Like I said before your uai is only good for initially getting you into uni, after that it means very little. When you apply for uni later in life/transfer they dont look at your uai. Usually if if you havent been at uni you have to do an admisson test but in your case they would look mainly at what you have done at uni up until now.

mrsajmon23

The Szyja
HSC
ok thanks.

You think i have a chance of getting in with a shit gpa but good work experience?

hopefully they go easy on me....

mb87

HSC
N/A
I'm fairly sure they'll take into consideration other credentials besides academic merit.

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
BBC/B Laws is more convenient than B Arts/B Laws, as the BA/LLB program = split campuses.
Just so you know :)

mrsajmon23

The Szyja
HSC
Oh so BBC/B Law is only on one campus? i though it was split just like B Art/B Law.

Would i be correct in the assumption that BBC/B Law is all in the Parramatta campus?

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
BBC/LLB is available entirely at either Parra or Campbelltown (though some of the BBC electives aren't offered at C'Town)

Moldy81

UWS Course Info
HSC
They dont use it. Like I said before your uai is only good for initially getting you into uni, after that it means very little. When you apply for uni later in life/transfer they dont look at your uai. Usually if if you havent been at uni you have to do an admisson test but in your case they would look mainly at what you have done at uni up until now.
Because you finished year 12 more than a year ago, they will consider each of your UAI; your GPA; and your work experience. Each will be ranked individually and the most competitive rank used to compare you against other applicants, if it is competitive enough against those applicants, you will get a place in the course. Because each course that you have listed on your UAC application will be considered in order of preference, you should consider listing a course that is not as competitive in a lower preference option. You still have time to do this for consideration in the main round of offers. To clarify anything however, I would suggest that you contact the UWS Course Information Line on 1300 897 669 for further advice.

mrsajmon23

The Szyja
HSC
Because you finished year 12 more than a year ago, they will consider each of your UAI; your GPA; and your work experience. Each will be ranked individually and the most competitive rank used to compare you against other applicants, if it is competitive enough against those applicants, you will get a place in the course. Because each course that you have listed on your UAC application will be considered in order of preference, you should consider listing a course that is not as competitive in a lower preference option. You still have time to do this for consideration in the main round of offers. To clarify anything however, I would suggest that you contact the UWS Course Information Line on 1300 897 669 for further advice.

Thanks!

What do you mean by "you should consider listing a course that is not as competitive in a lower preference option".

What is the purpose/intention? I don't really wan't to get into anything else besides those 3. (Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question).

Moldy81

UWS Course Info
HSC
What I mean is, list your courses in order of preference but perhaps also include the Bachelor of Business and Commerce (BBC) as a fourth preference. This is only as a precaution, so that if you are not competitive enough for a place in one of the law courses (which are always very competitive) you may still get admission into another program such as the BBC. After 12 months of study, you will hopefully become more competitive for admission into one of those law courses that you really want admission to. I hope this helps.

mrsajmon23

The Szyja
HSC
Hey everybody (who posted) I got into Arts/Law at UWS Parra!

Thankyou all for your help and advice!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)