Transfer into Medicine (1 Viewer)

coffeebabi06

HSC
I'm a first year at UTAS and I want to transfer into Medicine at Melbourne, but all the information I have says that your year 12 ENTER still has to be at least 96.00 before they'd even consider you. I've already done the UMAT and am getting good (HD average) results at uni so far, does anyone know anything that might help me out? Is there any way to get around the ENTER (mine was 94.10) and transfer to Melbourne, or should I give up hope?

Thanks in advance!!

liverpool3k

Banned
HSC
coffeebabi06 said:
I'm a first year at UTAS and I want to transfer into Medicine at Melbourne, but all the information I have says that your year 12 ENTER still has to be at least 96.00 before they'd even consider you. I've already done the UMAT and am getting good (HD average) results at uni so far, does anyone know anything that might help me out? Is there any way to get around the ENTER (mine was 94.10) and transfer to Melbourne, or should I give up hope?

Thanks in advance!!
hmmm... well, I looked this up last year but I can't find the info on it. that said, melb takes a tiny tiny bunch of transfers... and I'm inclined to think that your enter might let you down...
are you first year med @ utas or what??
try medstudentsonline for more info...

coffeebabi06

HSC
No, I'm in Medical Research, they have a transfer program at UTAS where they take up to 6 people from med research into med after first year. I got that information directly from Melbourne uni; I emailed them asking about a transfer. I just wondered if there were ways around it (I get the feeling they're not going to be terribly forthcoming about 'alternative' entry into Medicine) !

aussiechica7

HSC
i think the 6 people from med radiation is JUST for utas, not for umelb.

i have to agree with velox, although u did gr8, there r only 5 places available for non-standards (non yr 12s or gap yrs) at umelb. i know one guy who got a place. he went to umelb, had a 99+ enter, a 7.0 gpa and a nonetooshabby umat. HDs and high enters r a dime a dozen when applying to umelb, sorry.

however, good news... UMelb post grad i think would look very favourably on Ds and HDs... it just means u have 2 master the gamsat. but the course is only 4.5 yrs so u finish in roughly the same amount of time (ok a little more, but still) with 2 degrees.

so just curious, si there any reason in particular u want umelb? there r many undergrad med schools u can apply 2 with a MUCH better shot than umelb undegrad, and of course, heaps of grad schools when u finish.

(btw, r u considered rural when applying?)

liverpool3k

Banned
HSC
coffeebabi06 said:
No, I'm in Medical Research, they have a transfer program at UTAS where they take up to 6 people from med research into med after first year. I got that information directly from Melbourne uni; I emailed them asking about a transfer. I just wondered if there were ways around it (I get the feeling they're not going to be terribly forthcoming about 'alternative' entry into Medicine) !
ah ok. welll. as aussiechica asked any specific reasons why melb? utas has a quite generous scheme for uni students wanting to get into med... is there anyway you can apply for the wider non-standard stream, or are you limited to the Med research transfer quota?
gah tis too complicated, no...

coffeebabi06

HSC
lol
I'm from Melbourne, and I just thought if I do end up getting into med at UTAS next year, I may as well try for a little closer to home as well. With UTAS's transfer scheme, I fall under 2 categories that are eligible for transfer, I don't really remember how it works, I think one was as a tertiary transfer and the other as part of their scheme.

And aussiechica7, yes, I would consider rural (I had planned on applying for the rural cohort last year too - until my ENTER was released). My aim was always to get into Monash, but I was told they only take year 12 leavers.

pirate24

HSC
N/A
So from what I understood, to be eligible for a post-graduate coarse (for a masters degree) in medicine, you just have to have completed an undergraduate degree and done well in it, regardless of the degree. Do I have that right? Right now I'm doing arts/law at monash and if I complete it with HDs will I then be able to go for a masters in medicine? I know it works that way for law, a person can go for their JD as long as they have a BA.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)