Transfer from Law (UOW) > Arts/Science (USYD)? (1 Viewer)

Hopp

HSC
I'm in an indecisive dilemma at the moment. I am completing my end-of-semester exams at UOW, and although my scores haven't been too bad, I am sure that Law isn't for me and I do not want to continue in semester 2.

I've been browsing mid-year intake courses at USYD/UNSW and I am interested in Arts/Science at either one. I have two problems though:
- Is it possible for me to transfer from my degree for semester two commencement at USYD/UNSW?
- I am not too bad at math, but I did not do it in year 12, I have seen that 'statistics' is the only compulsory math subject for next semester. Is this course out of the question for me?

Thanks for any help.

Silly Sausage

HSC
You still have to do a full years worth of math if you go to USYD. Both unis have mid-year intake for science/arts, although UNSW would probably have more flexibility for semester 2 subjects.

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC
1. Yes. Seeing as you've only done half a year of tertiary study they will judge you on your ATAR alone, but if yours was high enough to get into law at Wollongong then you should be fine.

2. Not sure about the requirements at UNSW, but at USYD you will have to do 12 credit points worth of Mathematics for the Science part of your degree. It's definitely doable though, I take it you're not going to major in maths, so you can take your time and do the units when they suit you. I wouldn't do any maths this coming semester though; given your current background the subjects on offer this semester may be hard if you don't have the proper foundations.

If you go to USYD, I'd recommend MATH1111 as your first maths unit in Semester 1 next year, it's meant for people who have a weak background in Maths, so hopefully it won't be too difficult for you. After that I would do a statistics course when you can fit it in (MATH1015 in Semester 1 or MATH1005 in Semester 2); a lot of the stuff in statistics is taught afresh so it's probably one of the easier maths units you'll do. And for you final subject you'll have a choice of MATH1013 (Modelling) or MATH1014 (Linear Algebra). Personally I'd recommend MATH1013, as a lot of people find Linear Algebra to be a little abstract and difficult to work with, but it's up to you.

Good luck :)

Hopp

HSC
Thank you so much for all the information, I appreciate it!

1. Yes. Seeing as you've only done half a year of tertiary study they will judge you on your ATAR alone, but if yours was high enough to get into law at Wollongong then you should be fine.
Ok, I'm glad I am eligible. Would you know where I should start, in inquiring about transferring? Thanks again.

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC
You apply through UAC, the process is the same as it was when you applied straight from school.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)