Transfer from arts to commerce- hard? will I be behind? (1 Viewer)

KidDang

HSC
Uni Grad
Hi, I am really interested in the unsw bachelor of commerce course majoring in marketing and something in public relations or management and have enterred it as my highest preference. However the rough estimate of my atar is about 85 which is way to low to enter so I have considered the bachelor of arts program and later do a transfer.

So my question is, if I were to do a b arts and choose a major of human resource management and criminology or economics would I be too far from everyone else when I transfer to a bachelor of commerce? Because I have looked at the coursebook and it seems in the beginning level everyone would be doing the same subjects, so would that be the same for arts and commerce.
Also If I were to transfer would It be impossible with a low atar because I'm hearing people talk about wam 75 and good atar and would I be on the same level with everyone else?

Thank you very much for your time.

Last edited:

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Hi, I am really interested in the unsw bachelor of commerce course majoring in marketing and something in public relations or management and have enterred it as my highest preference. However the rough estimate of my atar is about 85 which is way to low to enter so I have considered the bachelor of arts program and later do a transfer.

So my question is, if I were to do a b arts and choose a major of human resource management and criminology or economics would I be too far from everyone else when I transfer to a bachelor of commerce? Because I have looked at the coursebook and it seems in the beginning level everyone would be doing the same subjects, so would that be the same for arts and commerce.
Also If I were to transfer would It be impossible with a low atar because I'm hearing people talk about wam 75 and good atar and would I be on the same level with everyone else?

You would transfer, but you'd still need to do the first year commerce subjects i.e. you don't just transfer straight into second year. Some subjects may be equivalents, so you could possible cut out a few subjects, however, the core ones you'd probably still need to do.

Also, 85 isn't really a low ATAR. There's thousands of people at uni with scores lower than that. Just get a decent first year WAM and you should be fine.

KidDang

HSC
Uni Grad
Thank you for the quick reply,
that has cleared up some of my misunderstanding however opened up more questions I'm wondering if I could ask when you mean I'd still have to do the first year commerce subjects, does that mean I'll have to restart a year and start from scratch and everything I learned before that would mean nothing?

Last edited:

KidDang

HSC
Uni Grad
Aww darnn it, my parents struggled alot to get me through highschool, I can't have them waste a year worth of money just so I can stay in UNSW =(. I guess I'll keep unsw as my first pref but if my Atar belong in the 80s I guess I'll have to go to Macquarie. Looks like I'm likely not able to join you guys.

Thank you very much for your help though Absolutelyzero and dd24.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
EDIT: Sorry i was in a hurry before.
You can do arts and transfer to commerce without being behind.

So, for Commerce, let's say you want to double major in Marketing and Human Resources Management. And if you had to do Arts, you'd double major in Human Resources Management and History for example.

You want to transfer after 1st year from Arts to Commerce.
I believe it's possible to transfer and still only take 3 years to complete your commerce degree.
Here's a rough plan that you would do.
Sem 1
MGMT1001 for HRM
MARK1012 for Marketing
ARTS1270 for History
Free - (Pick Commerce Core)

Sem 2
MGMT1002 for HRM
ARTS1271 for History
Free - (Pick Commerce Core) OR MARK2053 for Marketing
Free - (Pick Commerce Core)

For the Free, the compulsory Commerce cores that you need are ACCT1501, ECON1101, ECON1203. Or you could do MARK2053 in 2nd Sem instead of one of them.

Now, here are the 2 scenarios:
1. after this first year, you make the transfer to Commerce, it's all good. Everythings gone to plan and you'll be at the same stage as other Commerce students. You should be able to use the 2 History courses as General Education Subjects. You'll finish the degree in 3 years (anyone correct me if I'm wrong). Your 2nd and 3rd year would just be completing the rest of the major requirements for Marketing and HRM (If did the comp. cores in first year, your 2nd and 3rd year would be 42 UOC Marketing, 36 UOC HRM, 18 UOC flexible core, so you'll have no free electives but thats fine)

2. You don't make the transfer. At this point, I would not try to make it the next year. I would just finish the arts degree majoring in History and HRM. You won't be behind here either. You'll finish your Arts degree in 3 years with a double Major in History (or whatever major you like in Arts) and HRM.

Hope this helps.
The risk is if you don't make the transfer. It says minimum WAM required is 75. So just work hard in 1st year (not sure if they look at 2nd sem results). If you don't mind too much majoring in Arts, then this isn't too bad. At least you'll get a major in HRM and something else that you'll hopefully enjoy.
Side note: Have you considered applying for Services Marketing - Trsm&Hosp. I'm not sure if it's too late to apply, but its easier to get in than just a straight Commerce degree, and you seem to be interesting in this area (it's still a Commerce degree).

Last edited:

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

I know of one friend who was doing Arts and he transferred to Comm/Arts. I personally think that was a very smart move considerating such move means that you can take more Arts subjects in your first year and move to Comm/Arts and do more commerce in subsequent years. That would mean that you dont waste any time.

I am not 100% sure about the WAM requirement but you should contact the school of Business OR Arts to confirm what is the WAM cut-off. From what I hear, 75+ seems like the norm but that's not to say 70 is not good enough or 80 is good enough. Why? Because they also consider your ATAR. Keep in mind that it's the combination of both ATAR and WAM. So good luck

KidDang

HSC
Uni Grad
Hello again and thanks timothy and Iyounamu,
Actually I'm rather in love with the Tourism-hospitality Service Marketing commerce, I love everything about it from the content to work experience it provides not only can I study marketing which I really love, I can develop customer service skills and understand more about todays global world through the tourism-hospitality major. Whats even better is that I can increase job prospect through an optional major in which I plan to do management (haha I'm quite hopeless at maths)- It goes to even better extent giving industry experiences as well as a certificate 3 in events allowing me to study public relations in Kensvale College. Thats like what- 4degrees in one ^^

I have recently answered the questionaire though received no reply from UNSW yet.

But Arghh just when I put it as my first preference I came across this statement, the degree is entered 'through academics achievement successful applicants are typically in the top decile of their state high school grading.' Does that mean that I still have to get a 95+ atar to be accepted? =( if possible I hope I could talk to anyone doing this program and ask the generally accepted atar marks and selection criteria.

Last edited:

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
Hello again and thanks timothy and Iyounamu,
Actually I'm rather in love with the Tourism-hospitality Service Marketing commerce, I love everything about it from the content to work experience it provides not only can I study marketing which I really love, I can develop customer service skills and understand more about todays global world through the tourism-hospitality major. Whats even better is that I can increase job prospect through an optional major in which I plan to do management (haha I'm quite hopeless at maths)- It goes to even better extent giving industry experiences as well as a certificate 3 in events allowing me to study public relations in Kensvale College. Thats like what- 4degrees in one ^^

I have recently answered the questionaire though received no reply from UNSW yet.

But Arghh just when I put it as my first preference I came across this statement, the degree is entered 'through academics acheivement and the students are generally in the top percentile of the state.' Does that mean that I still have to get a 95+ atar to be accepted? =( if possible I hope I could talk to anyone doing this program and ask the generally accepted atar marks and selection criteria, thanks again for your help.
Last year the cut off was low for tourism-hospitality. (a lot lower than commerce) but you never know, it was a (relatively?) new course so probably not that many people knew about it, it could be harder for next year.
and @namu, they don't consider ATAR for internal program transfer (within UNSW) :p

KidDang

HSC
Uni Grad
The course is an excellent balance of theory (which I still refer to today) and
real–life work experience which gives you an advantage when job hunting after
graduation. The combined degree also provides fantastic overall management
and business skills – as you extend your marketing knowledge with courses
like managing people, and sharpen your entrepreneurial ability by writing
a business plan for a new venture.”
Tamara Howe (UNSW 2000 graduate)
Brand Manager, Nutri–Grain, Kellogg (Australia) Pty. Ltd.

“UNSW’s Bachelor of Commerce in Marketing and Tourism was the perfect
course for me. Not only did it provide me with the valuable commercial skills
I needed to start my own company, but the unique mixture of theoretical
coursework and hands–on experience gave me the edge I needed when
applying to top business schools to further my international career.”
Campbell Bethwaite (UNSW 1998 graduate), Wharton MBA,
Investment Banking Associate,
Citigroup Global Markets (New York)

Hey Timothy,
I guess it stills relatively new to others hehe but to me it seems to have been for awhile- with its establishment atleast 10years ago- Im dead certain I want to do this course now, i only hope I can talk to people doing the course maybe I should wait around and come to info day because It seems the unsw staff is not answering my email. =)

KidDang

HSC
Uni Grad
Or better of let me post my questions now and if you guys can answer it please do,

1.What are the minumum atar usually accepted- any chance of it being in the 80s?
2.Does anyone know the amount of spots given for the course each year?
3. How does the marketing major of this course differ from the traditional commerce course/ would it increase/decrease my chances of working in other industries (not just hotel/resorts- tourism stuff) but other marketing jobs that graduates usually apply in?

And I forget the rest I had a few more earlier sighs bad memories attacking me already

These are personal/general question you don't have to answer:
1. would I have to separately apply to Kensvale collge for a spot as well- or is this included with the unsw course registration?
2. When was this course established?- I didn't realized it was around until I thoroughly checked after Timothy enlightened me ^^
3. Is there any1 also interested in this course and have questions like me? that'd be awesome then maybe we can hookup and help each other out.

Last edited:

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
Or better of let me post my questions now and if you guys can answer it please do,

1.What are the minumum atar usually accepted- any chance of it being in the 80s?
2.Does anyone know the amount of spots given for the course each year?
3. How does the marketing major of this course differ from the traditional commerce course/ would it increase/decrease my chances of working in other industries (not just hotel/resorts- tourism stuff) but other marketing jobs that graduates usually apply in?

And I forget the rest I had a few more earlier sighs bad memories attacking me already

These are personal/general question you don't have to answer:
1. would I have to separately apply to Kensvale collge for a spot as well- or is this included with the unsw course registration?
2. When was this course established?- I didn't realized it was around until I thoroughly checked after Timothy enlightened me ^^
3. Is there any1 also interested in this course and have questions like me? that'd be awesome then maybe we can hookup and help each other out.
ah, not as new as i thought :p
1. I'm not sure, but one of my friends got in and she didn't tell me her atar coz "it wasn't that good" and she was happy/surprised/relieved she got in. and one of my other friends transferred into it (through UAC) with a "not that good" ATAR and probably ~60 WAM.
2. I'd say ~40-50. http://www.timetable.unsw.edu.au/2011/SERV1100.html there were 36/50 for that course and 42 in that one for sem 2 http://www.timetable.unsw.edu.au/2011/SERV1001.html, and its a serv. tourism-marketing exclusive course I believe.
3. Marketing major is exactly the same I believe.

1. No, you go to Kenvale through serv1100, the uni will take care of it for you
2. No idea :p
3. Probably :p

Last edited:

KidDang

HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks alot Timothy I have gotten a general understanding of this course now- I'll just wait around until info day and talk to people doing the course and ask more about it.
lol just recently learned how to rep its the only thing I can do atm but if we managed to meet (hopefully) i'll treat you to something hehe.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Maybe the people in this thread will find Commerce more interesting than I did.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)