Transfer after first year (1 Viewer)

naisAtoN

Awesome Member
HSC
Missed first preference, transfer after first year

Basically, I missed out on the ATAR for my first preference by a measly 0.3 points, so I'm currently doing my second preference for which the entry was about 10 points lower than my ATAR.

Question: Realistically, what kind of marks should I be looking at this year to be able to transfer at the end of the year? So far I only have a few marks back which are mixed - passes through to HDs, but I'm suddenly unsure about whether I'll actually be able to do well enough to transfer as I've struggled with a couple of the recent assessments in some of my subjects. I've heard that someone with a credit average can have their marks brought up significantly but I'm not sure if this is necessarily the case. :/

Also, do the raw marks returned in class get scaled or anything at the end of the semester? I'm concerned that a D or an HD might suddenly get scaled to a pass/credit if a lot of people in the cohort did really well. I go to USyd if that helps in any way...

Thanks to anyone who can help, the transferring / GPA / etc. is really confusing me.

Last edited:

witide

HSC
Re: Missed first preference, transfer after first year

Marks could get scaled, it depends on your faculty. I'm in arts and I think we all get put onto the bell curve at the end. I was certain with one of my subjects last year that I was going to get a distinction. We didn't even have a final exam so everything should have added up to that, but I ended up with only a pass.

And we can't tell what kind of average you'll need to transfer if we don't know what the course and cut-off is. Just aim to do as well as you can for the rest of this year. I think after 1 year of full time study they'll consider your GPA in addition to your school marks. Either that or it's only your GPA, I can't remember exactly.

naisAtoN

Awesome Member
HSC

Thanks, I'm in arts too. The course I want to transfer into had a cut-off of 93.05 for this year. I really don't think I'm going to get in. Suddenly want to shoot all the teachers who said it's easy to transfer once you're at uni.

witide

HSC

Well, I've transferred twice, although it was to degrees with a lower cut-off.

You should probably read the sticky topics regarding transfers. If I had to guess, I'd say aim for at least a high credit to guarantee a place. But wait until you get your grades at the end of this semester to see how you've gone. There's no point worrying about it now, just do your best.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)