TRADITONAL & FEMINIST TEXTUAL INTEGRITY (1 Viewer)

ben_au69

HSC
i was just wondering how would textual integrity relate with a feminist and leavisite reading of king lear

of course traditional is 100% textual integrity so to speak, but how would a feminist interpretation relate? something bout the feminist movement?

also do u think theyd be very broad or very specific for the king lear Question tomorrow?

cheer

HSC
N/A
Not doing Lear, but here's a tip on feminist criticism:

It's not always about a feminist movement and "Power to the B-cups" etc etc lol. Look at the roles of women in Lear. Would the story have been the same if the women were taken out of it? How important are they?

ben_au69

HSC
but isnt textual integrity relating to how the text is recieved over time and how the original meaning is lost?

cos a feminist interpretation just highlights the misogynist overtones and whatnot.. i don't know how to link it with the original meaning...

superbird

HSC
wen shakespeare was written, females were considered lower than males in terms of social order. even tho i believe that still stands today :p the issue of textual integrity is that the initial intention of patriarchal order is lost in a feminist production.

little_red_fox

There are two views of textual integrity -
1.canonical theories where the original text stands on its own, and is viewed as a work of art created by a genius, idea that when tampered with textual integrity sacrificed
2. This is the ine more valued today - Does the interpretation/production of the play have coherence and unity, if so it has integrity

If the question is on the worth of King Lear today, it doesn't hurt to slip in a line like "Readings come about because text has textual integrity"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)