Tps?~ (1 Viewer)

boinkBOINK

hustler
HSC
N/A
Just going through past papers and stuff and came across this

Perfect Papers is a large franchise of stationary stores, with some 200 branches throughout New South Wales. They sell a variety of pens, notepapers, folders and similar items to the public. Although each store needs to access its own data, the head office needs details of all sales and GST payable. Head office would also like to see which products sell well across the state, and how much each salesperson sells in each year. At the end of each year, a report is produced showing the total sales for the company, broken down by store and individual sales person, a copy of which is sent to each store.

Using diagrams to illustrate your answer, differentiate (note the differences) between designs needed for the user interfaces required for the collection of data in a branch in a batch system in each local store, and that required for a real time system in each store.

any idea how this would be done?
any help will be ideal

Huy

HSC
N/A
i wouldn't be able to 'illustrate using diagrams' per se,
but here are some suggestions.

* design
having two separate databases and spreadsheets.
e.g. one in excel tied to ERD's in a DBMS (e.g. microsoft access) which can produce reports at regular intervals, (yearly)

this would become complicated with the individial stores and sales personnel. but what you could do is have a template using default sales data (e.g. all the prices and products) and then assign fields for each store, and within each store, have different sales staff entering and updating data as he/she sells stock.

this would be a difficult task though, but i don't think the examiners will expect you to know how it works 100%, as long as you give a fair overview of the entire system and how it "will/should" work.

* batch transaction processing
- simple spreadsheet tied to a product database/inventory system
- would update the database (e.g. deduct stock) each day

* real time transaction processing
- secured systems linked to an online database. therefore it requires authentication and/or logon/logoff procedures (have fields or a welcome screen of some sort designed which requires usernames, passwords etc)
- more complicated, requires more fields to enter/update records (inventory)

i'm sure there are others,
but just give an outline (i dont know how many marks this is worth, but i'd say 4-6 marks).

all you have to really say is (using points if you wish):
* batch: simple design, (crap on about design principles if you want) and then draw a couple of illustrations, since they want you to be using design tools. e.g. systemflow charts, DFDs, and screen captures (make them up).

* real-time: more expensive (requires online access to storage devices), more complicated, issues of concurrency/atomicity, requires encryption, etc.

but make sure you use diagrams, you could have the batch design being real cheap and easy to use because it is only updated once a day, after hours etc, and with your real-time transactions you'll have a series of screens/prompts asking for usernames, client IDs, stock numbers, receipts numbers, product ID, barcodes, amount to be deducted from the database, etc. plus it'll be really complicated when it comes to backing it up etc.

hope this helps you :)

Huy

HSC
N/A
hehe thanks guys/girls.
i appreciate it :)

furthermore, to miz_fly and ... i'll have the $50 sent to you next week ;) haha

^___^
HSC
Huy: u been revising IPT lately??? i'm going through my notes and past papers, some stuff we meant to know are not in the papers...but are u gonna cram everything in?? or ur just so smart that u know it already :p

coz if u know those lil bits and pieces for IPT, its hell of a lot to cram

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by ...
Huy: u been revising IPT lately??? i'm going through my notes and past papers, some stuff we meant to know are not in the papers...but are u gonna cram everything in?? or ur just so smart that u know it already :p

Addressing each question one at a time :)
u been revising IPT lately???
Not really, in class we're going through all the core and option topics. So every 2 days we finish a topic (covering all questions, talking about it, etc). I used to study a lot for computing studies in Year 9/10, but IPT isn't a priority for me since Yr 12 has hit. What with physics, chemistry and the 12 other units of study :eek: I get by, I've been ranked 1st for IPT ever since day 1 of the preliminary course (brag brag brag...) but ever since the HSC course, people have been trying to catch up, which means I have to work harder just to broaden the gap.

but are u gonna cram everything in?? or ur just so smart that u know it already :p
I usually cram everything in, yes. My trials are next week, and I've got IPT the day after English paper 2 and Extension English (!). That gives me an afternoon to revise all of the core topics and options (Multimedia and TPS). I don't know "every single thing" when it comes to IPT, because there are always some things that the exam will ask of me, which I'll never know. I'll give you an example, ZModem and YModem, one of the multiple choice questions were asking things like: "which one uses 128-bit" and there were a few more "tricky" questions.

Some other questions were things like CRC, parity, and other data validation techniques which asked questions like: "which one uses a division process" - they are VERY specific, so make sure you know everything in detail, or at least have a broad understanding of the entire unit of work.

I've already learnt the entire course as I went through it. E.g. reading ahead and completing exercises and practice questions etc. So I don't have to "learn" anything else, it's only revision that's left, as well as prepping myself for the trials (and HSC to follow).

That basically involves reading the entire textbook (it's possible) and memorising a couple of new terms, linking them to the entire topic, knowing where it fits into the IPT-context, and figuring out a way to memorise a couple of topics before the IPT trial exam. For me, it will be reading a good portion of the textbook, taking a look at all of my notes again, and refreshing my short-term memory :)

I hope that answers most of your queries :)

Taz

ThankGodItsNotStill2003
I've already learnt the entire course as I went through it.
I've been ranked 1st for IPT ever since day 1 of the preliminary course (brag brag brag...) but ever since the HSC course, people have been trying to catch up, which means I have to work harder just to broaden the gap.
I agree with Huy. I havent started revising yet. Our trials are in weeks 5 and 6. Ive got other assessments still to worry about. I have also been coming first for most of the prelim + hsc courses. Ive had it a little easier though. It seems that most of my class has just given up which is pretty good, although the competition does help a little. This way tho, i have more time for other subjects. I have basically just made sure i learnt the work as i went along and now all i really have to do is refresh my memory. Not meaning to brag but i got 94% in my 1/2 yearly with very little study coz i had other subjects to worry about. Right now im just wishing that i'd learnt everything in my other subjects as i went along. I would be so much better off.

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by tigerboi
gee huy types alot
I am two seats away from you in IPT, and we don't even get to type all that often.

When was the last time we used computers for anything?
Give me a break.

Jeo

lol, the first thing we do when we get in the class is get on the computers, every lesson! then open messenger, and a few downloads... downloads coz our schools got some shit fast internet, so we can burn what we downloaded or transfer to laptops. then our lesson begins.. and our teacher says do this blah bleh blah bleh, and then we go back on the computers and to the blah bleh blah bleh in about 2 minutes, and then download something more. I downloaded t3 the other day! YAY!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)