Tour De France 2008 (2 Viewers)

danthemanly

HSC
blue_chameleon said:
Um, dude chill out.

Thats the answer in bold. They do get the leaders time, if they all come in as a bunch. Do you want to try and take the time of a field of 140+ riders coming through in quick succession? It makes much more sense to give them all the same time.

The breakaway bunches obviously get their own times. The start and finish of the pelaton probably isn't the easiest to judge all the time, but if you watch it enough, you'll understand how the system works.

*Evans.

Answer: Hopefully.
That did answer most of my question thanks heaps. you were more helpful than the guy before you. Just one more, how do they decide when to split up a group so two times are given. Is it a gap of 5 seconds between riders or something like that

aeiss

HSC
gg all of saunier-duval out, probably all of them on the juice anyway
sad to see a young rider like ricco doing them though D:

with regards to the peleton and timing:
the reason they do it is to avoid insane crashes
so most of the riders can just hang back and let the sprinters fight it out for the stage honors, while still getting the same time
i think it's a difference of one second or more, eg. the stage to super-besse; ricco won with valverde and evans 1 sec behind and some other dudes 4 sec behind

they all have transponders on their bikes, so i guess the race officials work it out that way

if schleck has no chance in the time trial, so evans' big challengers would most likely be menchov vandevelde and possibly sastre
if he can keep up with them in the alps and minimise his losses then he should do fine

silence-lotto seems a bit crap though
and csc is freaking scary (voight-train zomgwtfbbq)

HSC
Last year it seemed like only Contador and Ramussen could crack Cadel in the mountain stages, and neither of them are in the tour this year.

So hopefully Cadel can hang in with the leaders in the mountain stages and then take out the time trial at the end.

el gwapo

HSC
Well today's stage showed Evans will have to be on the defensive until his baby the 50km individual time trial (ITT)

Menchov is real threatening. The fact that he slipped meant that it was all a false alarm. Sastre should/could be leading, but now his teammate Frank Schleck is the leader I don't think its wise for him to attack. The next stage has a downhill finish so really it's only the Alpe d'Huez stage where he has to either attack or clamp down his losses.

your.knee

i'm lizzing
HSC
i have a few questions:

- i was watching it last night and people on the side of the road were holding out something that looked like a piece of paper - any ideas what this is and what it is for?
- do they go to the toilet when they ride? like do they just flop it out and piss or hold it in?
- how many stages are there?

thx

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
your.knee said:
i have a few questions:

- i was watching it last night and people on the side of the road were holding out something that looked like a piece of paper - any ideas what this is and what it is for?
- do they go to the toilet when they ride? like do they just flop it out and piss or hold it in?

thx
1. not sure what you mean, but i think it's newspaper that the riders stuff down their jerseys to avoid wind chill on mountain descents.
2. flop it out.
3. www.letour.fr can't remember

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
your.knee said:
i have a few questions:

thx
1. What jb_nc said.
2. They stop alongside the road for a quick break before feeding stations.
3. 21 stages.

your.knee

i'm lizzing
HSC
thanks for the replies
yeah it must have been newspaper as they were just about to go down a descent

Triple777ER

Vamos Rojas
HSC
The newspaper is used as an insulation material especially while descending from the higher altitudes because the temperature can be as low as 9 degrees celsius.

your.knee

i'm lizzing
HSC
watching them cycle up a massive hill is sorta painful to watch. but its also mildly entertaining... sadism?
anyway they're currently in the last 15km of stage 17 which is just all uphill.
go cadel!

i think cycling has grown on me in the past couple of days, not sure why though

Triple777ER

Vamos Rojas
HSC
your.knee said:
watching them cycle up a massive hill is sorta painful to watch. but its also mildly entertaining... sadism?
anyway they're currently in the last 15km of stage 17 which is just all uphill.
go cadel!

i think cycling has grown on me in the past couple of days, not sure why though
if it had grown back in 1999 you would have had sooooooooooo much fun watching Armstrong, ulrich, pantani, basso climb mountains.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
Triple777ER said:
if it had grown back in 1999 you would have had sooooooooooo much fun watching Armstrong, ulrich, pantani, basso climb mountains.
And their chemists/pharmacists/doctors too!

blue_chameleon

HSC
Triple777ER said:
They were the days.

Fucking Ulrich. Massive respect as a rider in his prime. Tarnished since the drug links. :(

Same goes for 'the pirate'. Cokecokecokecokecoke!

Devastated.

How Armstrong wasn't doped is beyond me.

Last edited:

Charizard

HSC
blue_chameleon said:
How Armstrong wasn't doped is beyond me.
He didn't need them. He was more aerodynamic then the other riders because of his one testicle.

blue_chameleon

HSC
Charizard said:
He didn't need them. He was more aerodynamic then the other riders because of his one testicle.
Was waiting for it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)