totaly stuck for composition (1 Viewer)

skankit

man my compositinos are going nowhere
im just sitting here trying to think of something and im stuck

INSPIRE ME

im doing my australian composition for a brass quartet/quintet,

i was doing 1900-1945 composition for a big band but i cant think of anything :'(

HELP ME im ruined

chepas

HSC
For the AUssie compo I'm going to do a trumpet/brass fanfare thing... I think...

Big Band is very ambitious, woah! Good luck. This only has to be like 2 or 3 minutes, so it can't be really big and extravagent. Have you got any material at the moment?

skankit

nope, i have not really anything

my aussie one, i was thinking of basing it around the 5 stages of grieving? like doing one short movement for each stage?

as for my big band, ive kinda decided to change from a big band to a small jazz combo, problem is i have no idea what i wanna do

pretty much i want something thats all whole tone-ish.. like rich atonal chords and stuff but im totally stuck

oh god help

ive been at school doing nothing other than composition for 2hrs today, no joke, and i hjavent gotten anything
my problem is that im realy good at arranging but TERRIBLE at composing...
:(

timyates_87

Hello.
HSC
i know exactally what you mean, im also screwed as far as composition is concerned

What instrument(s) do you play??

im doing an unaccopmanied trumpet solo.

skankit

ooh i play trumpet

but man i dont know what to do... i only chose to do 2 compositions because im doing extension and i wouldnt have been able to play 6pieces, im pushing it with 4...

my core one will shape up well in the next few days... this sounds gay but i decided to write a poem and then write music to it because its a helluva lot easier than just coming up with something

we have to hand our compositions in on tuesday :eek: i dont know WHAT im gonna do

timyates_87

Hello.
HSC
COOL i play trumpet tooo :)

What are your pieces, mine are:
Anna Karenina (Ext)
Haydn Trumpet Concerto 1st Mov (Ext)
Dialogue - Bozza (Ext Ensem)
Sun Conure - Brendan Collins (Mus 2)
Haydn Trumpet Concerto 3rd Mov (Mus 2)
and still desiding another piece

:)

skankit

omh i totally wrote a reply and it didnt post :S

um i play trumpet :) yay

i can tell that my aussie one will pull together well in the next few weeks, coz this sounds gay and all but ive written a poem and im gonna write music to it coz its so much easier! and easier to link to australian (after al, i wrote it) and once my melody is written im sweet to arrange it

but my other one, i dont know what to do?!?

i wish i wasnt doing 2 compos but its too late to change now :(

skankit

sorry my reply didnt come up on my computer

im doing a piece written by one of my teachers for my aussie one

vivaldi double concerto (allegro mvt)
intrada by otto ketting
portrait of a trumpet by sammy nestico

i was totally gonna play the haydn :O

chepas

HSC
Yay repertoire tim! I was going to do that Haydn for my elective but couldn't get accompaniment in time for assessment so I had t o switch to compo.. argh.

That ANna Karenina - who wrote that btw?

Originally posted by skankit

my aussie one, i was thinking of basing it around the 5 stages of grieving? like doing one short movement for each stage?

as for my big band, ive kinda decided to change from a big band to a small jazz combo, problem is i have no idea what i wanna do

pretty much i want something thats all whole tone-ish.. like rich atonal chords and stuff but im totally stuck

oh god help
Yay, can empathise too... sounds excellent ideas you have, just keep sitting at the piano and bashing it until you find something that yuo think sounds good :D I've been doing that for the past month and a half and haven't got anywhere basically... :( It will come eventually!!! It has to!

timyates_87

Hello.
HSC
Helen Johnstone wrote Anna Karenina,
are you performing at the HSC revision at the con?

neonazi

Yeh my composition is pretty much up the creek without a paddle at the moment. i got nothin comin to my head at all. im probably just gonna write a shitty piece on piano.

Crikket

Exactly Member
HSC
haha, i was going to do two comps
but when i got closer to the due date, i just went, nah, can't do two comps in 4 months!
so i ended up doing one, and at the moment, it's not going at all!
there's a limit to what you can do when you're doing indian/pop fusion!
good luck!

Crikket

Exactly Member
HSC
oooh do you think you get marked down for simple structure, if it's supposed to be simple? like for pop music?

olay

HSC
Originally posted by skankit

oh god help

ive been at school doing nothing other than composition for 2hrs today, no joke, and i hjavent gotten anything
my problem is that im realy good at arranging but TERRIBLE at composing...
:(
i think that 5 stages of grieving idea is excellent, but considering the time restraints, you're only going to have a few bars for each section... so think about whether you're going to have enough time to establish what you want to convey.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
i agree with OLAY, if you do the 5 stages of grieving, thats excellent, programatic music etc. etc. but considering the time limit for core is 2 minutes, how much time do you really have??

ok, personally i hate Matthew Hindson, particularly after i TRIED to study him for extension. however, i found his paper on contructing a 2 minute composition very useful. here it is, i hope it is of some use to you as it was to me.

GOOD LUCK!

EDIT: I tried to attach the file, and its too big, so heres the link instead:

http://hsc.csu.edu.au/music/composition/tips/hindson_plan/hindson_talk.pdf

chepas

HSC
Oh my crikey!!!! So many epiphanii in one go... STRUCTURE in a composition. Who'd have thought!!! At this point in time mine's seemingly just one big through-composed directionless wonder! D'oh.

Thx tonnes for links. I couldn'tn remember what the CSU site was called so yay.. journey of rediscovery!

trumpet geek

HSC
N/A
wow there are heaps of trumpet players yay!!! im writing my aus comp for brass quartet and piano. I was gona write for big band for my elective comp - i was gona do 1900 - 1945 for my aditional topic but then my music teacher talked me into writing for orchestra instead so i changed my topic to 1945 - 1979, and now im writing a piece for solo trumpet and orchestra.... ahh!!! heres a tip - DONT WRITE FOR ORCEHSTRA!!!! cos its too much effort and it takes aaages to write stuff and then u have to rehearse them with an actual orchestra and they have to learn the parts and its really hard to get it together. I spent soooo long working on my comp and it sounds like shit!!!!!!!! i should have done something more simple....

chepas

HSC
Yeah, that's why i'm writing for an SSAA choir and some random instruments - it's sort of dumb because I am writing based on the ability of what I have when we get to the recording.

Orchestra just sounds huuuuuge for a compo, it'd be really good though but then one wouldn't have a life!! Hehe. Brass quartet for the mandatory compo sounds good. I am thinking of just a brass/trumpet fanfare for my Australian one. (Yes it doesn't exist yet :rolleyes: ), but I don't know....

Yay, I've almost finish half of my extension comp! Just got to make the score look pretty...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)