Toshiba Satellite L20 Notebook- Suggestions and Opinions (1 Viewer)

Truly_bored

HSC
Hey guys,

I just want some suggestions and opinions and whether this notebook is worth getting.

Specifications:
*Intel Celeron M360
*1.4 GHz processor
*1MD L2 cache
*400 MHz FSB
*40 GB hard drive
*512 MB RAM
*15" XGA LCD Display

The total cost for this notebook system is $999.

What do you guys think? Worth it?

Collin

HSC
N/A
We sell the L20 at work (Officeworks), and I had a good play with it when we first got it. All I have to say is that it's a decent laptop for a student demanding non-intensive tasks such as web browsing, PDFs, Microsoft Office etc. for it's price. Don't expect miracles out of that Celeron 360. Downside is that the 15" XGA resolution may be too low for some. My 15" widescreen laptop uses WSXGA+ (1680 x 1050), and playing around with that machine on 1024 x 768 was annoying for me. If you're someone who does spreadsheeting etc., this may be relatively detrimental to you in terms of productivity. You can expect to get around 2 hours of battery life on that laptop. Another thing I noticed was that the screen quality wasn't too good. Glare was a big issue and the viewing angle was atrocious, among other things.

But overall, you're getting what you paid for. I'd personally spend an extra $299 and get another Acer we have on promotion at the moment, boasting a superior Centrino configuration (Pentium M chip, 4hr+ battery life, inbuilt wireless), bigger hard disk, SXGA+ res. But if you're totally budget conscious, the L20 isn't a bad deal.

Truly_bored

HSC
Thanks for the suggestion JKDDragon. Officeworks is the place I am going to purchase it, :). I'll have a think abou the Acer Aspire 3627WXMi Notebook.
The reason why I considered the Toshiba is purely because it's a well-known brand. So Is Acer as good?

Collin

HSC
N/A
To be honest, they're both pretty reputable brands. I'm not a huge fan of Acer's 15.4" widescreen laptops.. but the 14" 3627WXMi is an attractive deal, and the build quality seems pretty decent. Plus to assert integrity, both companies include the standard 1 year limited warranty on the machines, extendable to 3 years. If you wanted to do that, just ask the salesman there, and he'll extend it by two extra years for a cost of $189, refundable within 7 days. The warranty slip (regardless of if you extend it or not), is present on your tax invoice. In other words, your receipt is your proof of eligibility for warranty cover, so don't ever lose that, even after the returns policy date has expired!

And just incase you buy one of those machines and don't feel satisfied, you can return it within 7 days to any Officeworks store, with your receipt and all original packaging. Oh, and one final thing salesmen often forget is that when you buy those laptops, you're entitled to a special price on Trend Micro Internet Security OEM ($50). This includes the firewall, anti-virus and all the other bells and whistles. These laptops should only include a 60 day trial version of Norton Internet Security, so yeah, might be worthwhile to futureproof yourself with another one unless you have one already.

By the way, if you're still after the L20, I'd grab it soon. Our suppliers are running out of stock fast.. my store ran out a week ago, and we don't expect to get more of them in soon. If you go to your nearest store and they tell you it's out of stock, get the guy to find out on their SAP intranet system which other stores have it. Then get that guy to 'raise an STO' (essentially just a store transfer process), and bang.. laptop arrives near you in 2-4 working days, unless you wanna drive.

Truly_bored

HSC
Thanks a lot JKKDragon. That's some great advice you've given. Much appreciated.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)