Torus (1 Viewer)

nerdd

hey guys..
just wondering how you guys do the torus questions.
by slicing or cylindrical?

the arnold book uses cylindrical and its a bit confusing I think.. especially cause they leave out a lot of lines. (well it is to me ok? :p)

and then i found these other notes that do it by the annulus way.. and end up with (x1 - x2)(x1 + x2)
but it seems to only work if the circle that you're rotating, doesn't have the centre at (0,0).
because if it is at the origin, (x1 - x2) ends up being zero... so the
pi(x1-x2)(x1+x2) method doesn't work.

any suggestions?

well i tried doing the annulus way to answer this...

'the circle x^2 + y^2 = 25 is rotated around the line x = 10. find the volume of the torus found'

answer is 1000 pi ^2 or 500 pi ^2 sorry i'm having a mental blank and can't remember it exactly.. will edit post when i go and check.

wogboy

Terminator
HSC
Cylindric shells looks like a good way to find the volume of a torus:

the circle x^2 + y^2 = 25 is rotated around the line x = 10. find the volume of the torus found
Draw up a nice big diagram, with a circle of radius 5 & origin centre. Then draw it's symmetric reflection having a centre at (20,0) and radius 5. Draw in the cylindric shells, with the cylinders oriented "vertically".

dV = 2*pi*r*h*dx

(find the relationship between the cylinder radius/height, and its x position)
r = 10 - x
h = 2*sqrt(25 - x^2), so

dV = 2*pi*(10 - x)*2*sqrt(25 - x^2) dx
V = 4*pi*I{-5 -> 5}(10 - x)*sqrt(25 - x^2)

V = 4*pi* [I{-5 -> 5} 10*sqrt(25-x^2) - I{-5 -> 5} x*sqrt(25-x^2)]

This is where you have to be clever, f(x)=x*sqrt(25-x^2) is an odd function, so I{-5 -> 5} x*sqrt(25-x^2) = 0 by symmetry. Also I{-5 -> 5} sqrt(25-x^2) = 25*pi/2 (area of a semicircle)

so V = 4*pi*10*25*pi/2
V = 500*pi^2 units^3

Affinity

HSC
shells save writing. I prefer not to use the slicing method if I can (for this one)

By the way, for some volumes, heres a way to check your answer:
(you cannot assume this in your answer)

Pappus' theorem:

the volume of any solid of revolution equals

A*(2Pi*r)

where A = area of the region rotated and r is the distance from the centroid of the area to the axis of rotation.

so for this torus,

A= Pi*5^2 = 25 Pi
r = 10
V=25Pi*(2*Pi*10) = 500 Pi^2 unit^3

ezzy85

hmm...yeah.....
HSC
N/A
are there any programs that can draw these 3d shapes with the shells? im having trouble visualising the shells in some of the shapes.

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Which shapes? You really need to be able to visulaise "on-the-spot" so that you can answer questions in an exam ...

ezzy85

hmm...yeah.....
HSC
N/A
how a shell or a washer would look inside a torus. i just need to see a picture of it 3d and that will proably help me for future questions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)