Top Schools of 2006 (1 Viewer)

Bookie

Banned
HSC
sydney high top 3. WINRAR.

but see, the awesome thing about high is that we rule everything co-cirricular as well. we're the best school in the state. [2nd best after grammar if you can afford it]

simonloo

may our bodies remain
HSC
N/A
Ruse=1st
Sydney High= Hopefully somewhere outside top 5 to fully reclaim title as the best selective boys high school. (Currently at competition with NSB)

poOgee

HSC
simonloo said:
Ruse=1st
Sydney High= Hopefully somewhere outside top 5 to fully reclaim title as the best selective boys high school. (Currently at competition with NSB)
that so won't happen -.-"

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Sydney Boys HS were out of the top 10 in 2003 and 2004 and managed to scrape into top 10 at 9th last year and I reckon this year it will be roughly similar to this result (though many conceited people would think otherwise). Hornsby Girls HS have been in the top 10 for a quite a while and I think they'll remain in the top 5. Also, every year some other random schools, usually in top 20, hop up to the top 10...
Moriah College usually hovers around the top 10 borderline most of the time so they'll probably stay there. St George Girls HS fluctuate a bit every year. In 2003 they were 5th and then in 2004, they fell out of the top 10 at 13th and last year they bounced back to 7th.
I reckon (i.e. in my own opinion) the top 5 this year would be:
1. JRAHS
2. BHHS
3. NSGHS
4. SGHS
5. HGHS
Also, I don't know why, but I think this year, more private schools will take up more of the higher positions than last year, in effect scattering most selective schools that formerly held those positions.

shimmy&shine

HSC
lala2 said:
^^Yup, I'd say so too--basically, in any given year, in the top 10 will be:

- Ruse (1st, as always), then, in no particular order:
- Baulko
- NSGHS
- NSBHS
- SGHS
- SBHS
- Sydney Grammar

Other three are usually randoms--I would've put HGHS up there too except I think they were only in the top 10 for last year--is this correct?
When I first went to hornsby girls in 2001, i believe we were ranked like 27th?
These are rough guestimates, but the ranks were definetly around these numbers.

Hornsby Girls' High School

2001 - 27th
2002 - 21st
2003 - 11st
2004 - 4th
2005 - 2nd/3rd

If the trend continues, then we will be first! yay! But I'm not counting on it, lol. :)
I hope we do well, but in the end, it's not that important, because the next day, we are gonna move on with our lives instead of lingering about and telling everybody "my school got such-and-such".

cerene

procrastinator
HSC
no body really cares

however.

st george girls are always top 10 (except for '04 which was a dumb year)

T

Testpilot

It'll be LHCS for sure. Actually if we are not last in our region that will be an achievement. James Ruse will continue to dominate.

sarziii

HSC
james ruse will dominate again because they take the smartest students from every other smart school

im hoping that nsghs will reclaim its second place glory .... or at least beat sydneygirls and/or hornsby girls

if not class of 07 shall kick ass itll happen : D

lol i wonder what school i'm from.

timlay

is gonna lawyer you
HSC
yeah its slack. bloody ruse taking the smart people away!~

i miss vj and chandra in a way.... oh well...

i wouldn't mind if my school came... 3rd behind north sydney GIRLS and ruse.. i have a friend who goes to north sydney, and i look dumb with her. yeah. so they're smart. :) then there's ruse. best school ever hands down... (they'll get blown up someday. )

No Problems

HSC
No mention of a selective school in Petersham... Sure there was a reputation in teh past for it being a drugged up stoner school, but it had started to improve in the last couple of years...
Any thoughts on why it suddenly dropped to the twenties and out of contention for any serious consideration in recent times?

Bookie

Banned
HSC
sarziii said:
james ruse will dominate again because they take the smartest students from every other smart school
false.

timlay said:
yeah its slack. bloody ruse taking the smart people away!~

i miss vj and chandra in a way.... oh well...

i wouldn't mind if my school came... 3rd behind north sydney GIRLS and ruse.. i have a friend who goes to north sydney, and i look dumb with her. yeah. so they're smart. :) then there's ruse. best school ever hands down... (they'll get blown up someday. )
we'll come third. but whats with the 'vj and chandra' comment?

lala2

Banned
HSC
wow, what a show of school pride! It's like the "go [insert school name], go [school name] go [school name] GO!" chant--or is that just my ex-school? Meh, it's just like swimming carnivals and what not.

jackal8

HSC
No Problems said:
No mention of a selective school in Petersham... Sure there was a reputation in teh past for it being a drugged up stoner school, but it had started to improve in the last couple of years...
Any thoughts on why it suddenly dropped to the twenties and out of contention for any serious consideration in recent times?
Who are you? Its reis here.

UP UP UP HIGH

Dropdeadbored

HSC
So, did anyone actually go to James Ruse? A friend of mine got Reserve A when she went for Selective High exam, but ended up at Baulkham hills High. I've heard rumours that you have to consistently do well- 75%+ ALL the time- to stay in that school (not surprising considering how many people would be on the reserve list)

I agree with the whole self-perpetuating cycle thing. Think about it, seriously. If you are in any way smart, or your parents "want to give you a good future", then they enrol you in places like James Ruse. I myself started out at Penrith (selective high). It was my first choice, and I got in. But selective highs require you to do a test- and that means that anyone who wouldn't do so well in the HSC has already been eliminated from the school. And then , becaus everyone is "smart", you can learn everything much quicker, and get even more ahead of the public schools.

But that doesn't mean that people at public high schools are dumb or crap. They start off being able to do okay, and then there may be a few people who don't want to learn. They distract eveyone, and drag out the lessons because you have to spend more time explaining things to some people. Meanwhile, the people who are going to do well in the HSC are losing interest because they already know the stuff and want to move on.

But don't get me started on private/religious schools. I don't mean to offend anyone who goes/went to a private school, but to me they seem stupid. The only private schools I have seen involved parents paying ridiculous amounts of money for their kids to have 'nice' strict uniforms, and go to a school that looks nice, with less actual lesson time. And some of the private schools are so small that they have only 3 classes in the entire school- for 7 grades. You can't tell me that it's good.

As you can see, I'm very strongly against 'school ranks'. Just because I did my HSC whilst going to a Priority-funded public school, doesn't mean everyone who does well at my school should be 'punished' because some people didn't do well. I would've done just a little better if I still went to the selective high school, but only because I would've pushed myself to compete against the highest performers there, as I have done here.

School rank?! Why not a talent/academic density rank, rather than an ego rank? I'm sure the PEOPLE at James Ruse deserve all the accolades they get though.... But in that SMH publication where they asked the people who got 1st in each course, hardly any were from James Ruse......

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
Dropdeadbored said:
But that doesn't mean that people at public high schools are dumb or crap. They start off being able to do okay, and then there may be a few people who don't want to learn. They distract eveyone, and drag out the lessons because you have to spend more time explaining things to some people. Meanwhile, the people who are going to do well in the HSC are losing interest because they already know the stuff and want to move on.
Exactly! I went to a run of the mill co educational public high school, ranked, the last time I checked, about 303rd or thereabouts. And we still turn out some brilliant results every year. It just so happens that because of the nature of public education, as you have outlined, we also get a lot of really bad results too, which of course kills the ranking.
I get really tired of the assumption that public high schools are shit. Okay, so our uniform is a bit lax, so we have a few bludging dumbasses. We're not all like that. And our school is well ahead of the private/religious schools in our area, which just reinforces my belief that you can't judge a school by it's appearances alone.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)