Tongan homes. HELP! (1 Viewer)

mr. shrugies

HSC
N/A
This is for a geography assignment i was given. Does anybody know what types of homes/shelter that they live in & is the shelter that they have provides and fills the needs of the people? (i'd guess that an example would probably be protection from weather) I've only got very little information. Any information that you can give, please do.

Last edited:

overnightceleb

HSC
From 'Pacific Island Style' by Glenn Jowitt and Peter Shaw.

'Two thirds of the population live on Tongatapu, most of them in villages, where for some their homes are the traditional fale tonga, an oval-shaped building with a curved thatched or iron roof with sides made of woven reeds. Most live in colourfully painted wooden houses (known as "hurricane" houses) characterised by fretted or turned wood decoration popular in the colonial era'

'Because of Tonga's relative distance from the equator it has a semitropical climate, making it cooler and less humid than more northern islands. The fale tonga therefore has closed in walls and a more solid appearance. The traditional thatched reed roof has now largely given way to a more durable iron one.'

Hope this helps :D

mr. shrugies

HSC
N/A
Thankyou that helped heaps on my assignment. Does anyone else have any other information?

POLANAKI

HSC
you should've asked your islander mates !

oops.. this is last years assessment would've helped but i guess i wasn't quick enough to reply. >books helps more google = that shit don't work.

[ TONGA ] =P

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)