To the Media and Board of Studies officials (1 Viewer)

HSC
Well I'm sure you're here like eagles to see what we're all saying. If you would like to take a look at the locusts question again that would be good :D

adrenaline88

Medicine...
HSC
RED GREEN COLOUR BLINDNESS QUESTION WAS CRAP!! There was not enough information in the question to be able to answer appropriately:
The father Nick could have been affected or unaffected (NO INFO AT ALL)
The mother Maria could have been a carrier or unaffected
That's way to many different scenarios for just 2 marks:
Nick affected x Maria unaffected!!
Nick affected x Maria carrier!!
Nick unaffected x Maria unaffected!!
Nick unaffected x Maria carrier!!
STUPID BOARD OF STUDIES AND THEIR RIDICULOUS QUESTIONS! GO OVER YOUR QUESTIONS BEFORE MAKING THEM HSC-WORTHY PEOPLE!

Kyroth***

HSC
adrenaline, you just didn't do the qustion right. Since Jack is a boy, he gets his Y chromosome from his dad, not the X which carries the trait. So that eliminates 2 of your senarios. Then you say there is a 50% chance of Maria being a carrier, and if she is, a 50% chance of Jack having the disease. So all up, a 25% chance of him having the disease. The question asks you to predict, so you show your working, then write "I predict he will not be colour blind".

ishq

brown?
HSC
elisabeth said:
BOS people: more bio, less agriculture. K?
LOL! Yes. What she said.
Cow, Bilby, Locust, Cow.

adrenaline88

Medicine...
HSC
righto Kyroth, what about if Maria and Nick were both unaffected (Maria not being a carrier? Wouldn't that be a 0% chance of Jack (or whatever his name was) being colour blind?

Oso

Biotechnician in Training
HSC
I said IF maria IS carryer, 50% chance, IF maria is NOT a carrier 0% chance. IF Maria is unknown 25% chance (basic maths skills.)

Kirika

HSC
um... biology= study of living things... cow, locust, bibly= living things
agriculture= cultivating land and raising stock... hmm different
no im not having a go i get what u mean... but they jsut focussed on things impacting Australia, and the most important living things here are those ones.

Oso

HSC
wait, did the question say whether Maria was AFFECTED by the disease? Because she could still be a CARRIER.

Kyroth***

HSC
adrenaline88 said:
righto Kyroth, what about if Maria and Nick were both unaffected (Maria not being a carrier? Wouldn't that be a 0% chance of Jack (or whatever his name was) being colour blind?
It's still 25%. Draw a tree diagram, like in maths...

Y 50%
__/
Y 50% Jack affected?
_/ \_ N 50%
Maria affected?
\_ N 50% Jack Affected?------- Y 0%
\__ N 100%

(Wow that was hard to type! Lets hope it comes out...)

You muliply along the lines that you want. So if we want Jack to be c.b., its 50%X50% = 25%
:) see?

Kyroth***

HSC
Poo, it didn't come out... Anyway, you know what a tree diagram looks like. :)
And Maria couldn't have been affected, because her father was unaffected. For a girl to have the disease, her father MUST have it, so he can pass on his affected X chromosome. :)

danieljarvis

HSC
Kyroth*** said:
Poo, it didn't come out... Anyway, you know what a tree diagram looks like. :)
And Maria couldn't have been affected, because her father was unaffected. For a girl to have the disease, her father MUST have it, so he can pass on his affected X chromosome. :)
yes but she could be the carrier right?

Zali

HSC
males cant be carriers!!!!!!!!! its a sex linked characteristic which means males either have it or they dont

i didnt think the question was that bad except i think i mis read it cos i said marie was a carrier

elisabeth

HSC
Kirika said:
um... biology= study of living things... cow, locust, bibly= living things
agriculture= cultivating land and raising stock... hmm different
no im not having a go i get what u mean... but they jsut focussed on things impacting Australia, and the most important living things here are those ones.
Fair enough, but it just seems a bit more ag-based that what you'd expect, it was a bit overkill I thought because there are a lot of other major areas which went untested.

Oso

HSC
elisabeth said:
Fair enough, but it just seems a bit more ag-based that what you'd expect, it was a bit overkill I thought because there are a lot of other major areas which went untested.
I think they've probably covered everything sneakily. Like, the marking criteria probably needs you to talk about alot to get full marks. In which case I'm a gonner X.X

caxap

HSC
N/A
Gah, where's the emoticon for shaking-head-in-self-pity?

Did anybody else think that the exam was very "Search for Better Health" with not as much "Blueprint" or "Balance"?

Lil Clutch

HSC
Kyroth*** said:
adrenaline, you just didn't do the qustion right. Since Jack is a boy, he gets his Y chromosome from his dad, not the X which carries the trait. So that eliminates 2 of your senarios. Then you say there is a 50% chance of Maria being a carrier, and if she is, a 50% chance of Jack having the disease. So all up, a 25% chance of him having the disease. The question asks you to predict, so you show your working, then write "I predict he will not be colour blind".
im with you there-thats exactly what i did, showed the possiblilities and my working out but my prediction still was the boy not being colour blind. oh well most marks were for the diagram!woot!

and on another note, do the bos officials really look up all these sites? like i guess theyre not prohibitied, but i never thought about that! oh well, they cant find out our identities... ill continue bitching about them!

Kyroth***

HSC
danieljarvis said:
yes but she could be the carrier right?
Yup, she could be a carrier, or normal, but she can't have the disorder. :)

I agree with the ag thing too. Sure, put a bit in, but I would have rather some more T and B cells or something, less where other subjets are an advantage.
Though that multiple choice with the motion diagram!!! The only reason I understood that disgram was because of the motion graphs in 2u maths! Otherwise I woulda had no idea what was going on!

Oso

HSC
Lil Clutch said:
im with you there-thats exactly what i did, showed the possiblilities and my working out but my prediction still was the boy not being colour blind. oh well most marks were for the diagram!woot!

and on another note, do the bos officials really look up all these sites? like i guess theyre not prohibitied, but i never thought about that! oh well, they cant find out our identities... ill continue bitching about them!
I aint scared of the BOS. *shakes fist at them*
That is to say, I won't be, after the HSC is marked... ^^;

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)