To SLi or not to SLi (1 Viewer)

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
I searched :\
(and yes, it takes me ~6mths to think of what parts I want for a computer, by which time I have to rethink.. or else I get it a few hundred bucks cheaper than what I intended on paying, muaha)

Question: Is getting an SLi-capable motherboard worth it? (looking at the asus A8N-SLi Premium)

Why it would be: I like really high res games. I like turning everything all the way up. I like not lagging into the pit in Ironforge. I like to be able to do graphics stuff on my computer without it having a fit (photoshop desktops, fer example).

Why it would not be: I'm not a hardcore gamer. I don't play FPSers where the framerate = all. It's more expensive. It's Nvidia only. It won't change my life or feed starving children or get Mike laid. (sorry dude, just kidding) :D

I would be getting 2x6600GTs (yum.) the other option is a single one for less expense (cause the mobo would be cheaper), but then less performance.

Questions:
1) Are SLi boards noticeably noisier than non-SLi boards? (Two fans and all..)
2) Do they require a lot more power to function well? (Probably getting a 480W PSU but anyway)
3) Is it a futureproof technology - in that do you think it will be around for a long time or is it a 'wow cool' phase?
4) Would you get what I'm looking for above?
5) Does it really matter? (Looking at what kind of person I am)

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
Provided the cost of a SLi capable motherboard is not too much more than a comparable non SLi motherboard, getting a SLi motherboard is a worthy investment (depending on when M2 comes out).

If by graphics stuff you mean you want a second monitor, that can be done without SLi (you actually lose that function if SLi is switched on, but you can disable it when using photoshop and enable when playing games).

Currently the cost of a 6600GT SLi system would be cheaper than a single 7800GT, with either comparable performance or slightly lower. I would personally go for the single card with a SLi board, but that is probably poor value for your needs.

And to answer your questions.
1. SLi board depends on the graphics cards you use. While two cards with two fans are definitely louder than a single fan, considering each will be quieter than a fan on a high performance graphics card and that the 6600GT does not generate a lot of heat means that the noise level should not be noticeable unless you pay attention, provided the cards you get have efficient cooling solutions.

2. Obviously a second graphics card will require more power, but a 6600GT would not be highly draining on a system. 480W is perfectly fine for a 6600GT SLi configuration. It would be able to handle more powerful systems but I would recommend a more powerful PSU just in case if you're getting anything else.

3. SLi is a mature technology. nVidia has a year to iron out most of the problems with it, and with ForceWare 81.85 it looks better than ever. It is an integrated part of computing for now and there is no evidence to suggest that it would go into extinction soon.

4. I would personally spend a little more to get a future proof system with a single 7800GT or GTX card, but I like to run FPS at the highest quality settings with all eye candies on, so a different perspective.

5. In the end it probably doesn't matter, but a 6600GT SLi does offer good value for money seeing how cheap you can get those cards.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
The dilemma is whether to go for the 6600GT SLi's or get a 7800GT/GTX single now, and upgrade to a second down the track, when games become even more demanding.

For around the same cost, I think it'd be wiser to get a 7800GT (or GTX if you can afford it), because it is newer technology, and because it can handle any game right now at pretty decent resolution with all the anti-aliasing etc turned on. Down the track, when games become more graphics-demanding, you can add a second 7800GT/GTX, whereas with the 6600GT SLi's, your basically at the limit

AntiHyper

Revered Member
HSC
Aah, so you can't SLi 2 different graphics cards together?
Like having a 6600GT then connecting it with 7800GT in SLi.

That way it's cheaper for now and provides a better future extension.

Roguedeth

HSC
AntiHyper said:
Aah, so you can't SLi 2 different graphics cards together?
Like having a 6600GT then connecting it with 7800GT in SLi.

That way it's cheaper for now and provides a better future extension.

i think they have to have the same memory and core clock speed but crossfire you can get two diff cards.

i may get another 7800gtx to sli with when the prices come down but then that would mean i'd have to take out the mother board hmmm decisions.

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
For SLi with ForceWare 81.85 you need two graphics cards with the same GPU.

With Crossfire there is a bit more flexibility, but performance would be equivalent to the lowest card. You can do it with a X850XT PE master and X850XL, but the master's performance drop to the X850XL. To use your example of nVidia cards, using 6600GT and 7800GT would result in the same performance as a 6600GT SLi. There is no point in using two different graphics cards since it's just a waste of money.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Why not consider the new single slot, dual 7800GTX ;)

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
I would buy the SLi mobo and a 7800GT, and if necessary, get another 7800GT to SLi in the future. The 7800GT outperforms by some margin an SLi 6600GT setup, and I think it's worth the extra cost as it will last longer. A 480W power supply should be ample to support a 6600GT SLi or a 7800GT SLi.

BY the way, if you're running Photoshop and editing multiple or large images at once, ensure you have at least 1GB of RAM, since image-editors are heavily reliant on lots of RAM to function well. The more RAM you have, the less the computer will have a fit.

I_F

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
All this just for World of Warcraft?...

That game kills a lot of things including time, relationships, friends and Uni marks!

I haven't touched wow in ages,

btw, whats ur nick in wow anti? in case i might of killed u b4 :D

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
Nah, I can't afford the 7800 .. if it's not worth it then I'll get a single 6600GT and upgrade in future.

My nick in wow is Tayr (human female warlock, 60). Who are you? :p

Collin

HSC
N/A
I agree with the 7800GT suggestions. Infact, I'd even save up more just so I could get it. A primary purpose of SLi is futureproofness. You don't wanna be stuck with 2 6600GTs at the end of it when you could have 2 7800GTs.

Hanzo

HSC
i got SLI

and i also use 2 monitors for my PC
but dual monitor doesnt support SLI !!!!!!!!!!!!!
so whenever i need to do an assignment and use 2 monitors ... i hafto disable SLI

=(

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
Just in case you didn't know, you can enable/disable SLi without rebooting on the latest nVidia drivers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)