To Fellow Poets... (1 Viewer)

Khypheneight

HSC
I like the whole rhyming thing, very poetic (",) You need to be positive to stay in this subject!!! My poetry, though, comes from negative things so that's a contradiction! Though none of my poetry rhymes, so yeah... well, keep up the good work everyone!!! Good luck!!! Just think, it's almost over!!! YAY!!!

Khypheneight

HSC
Nadia_ said:
yeah thats true, once you have a great starting line you can make the best poems. i was stuck for weeks without writing a thing because i just lost my flair and originality, my poems started sounding like i was in yr 4. i think its a lot harder to write poems than say a critical essay. with essays, u plan it all out and u noe wat ur gna write. with poetry, you wake up not knowing if today will be your lucky day where you are imaginative and inspired enough to write a great piece of writing.... but luckily i found my inspiration again!
its a matter of luck as to how u are feeling that week!
Very like me!!! I can go for weeks just lacking any inspiration, and then a line, small and simple can get me in the mood. Have you ever felt like you can get so sick of your own writing because you look at it all of the time and then when you look at it after some time away you think to yourself, what the? Who the hell wrote that?! Happens to me from time to time

black_man

Chuck lives here
HSC
i think we are very lucky though, considering that poetry is a craft where we can produce several works, as opposed to a short story or script, where the single work is a constant throughout the entire course. i do know what you mean though, the banality of it all starts to sink in sometimes. an obvious solution is to write so many that it takes too long to go back and read them all...... ;)

maybe not i guess...

rific

HSC
Khypheneight said:
Hey, I just had a thought... do you think they- whoever they are- will give us back our journals? I want mine back, because I like the whole idea of actually finishing this! It's a satisfying thought, don't you think?
If they're using the same method, and I believe they are, what'll happen is that once marking is finished your portfolio will be mailed back to your school, who will probably either mail it to you or contact you to come and get it, saying that, it can take a fair while, I can't remember exactly, but I'm pretty sure I didn't get my works back until the start of the following year, I could be wrong on that, I had a lot of mail around that time.

I know what it's like to want to get it back so you can keeping working on it, and if you can manage to do that, good on you, I know I had that intention, but I just kind of didn't :rolleyes: I found my folio the other day actually, oh the memories...

Khypheneight

HSC
Thanks. I don't really mind about the work, just the journal... hey, it's cool they send it all back...

HSC
Khypheneight said:
Don't you dare feel bad! I'm new at this poetry thing, and while some say moine are pretty good, I bet the majority of mine are crap! Don't worry too much, I really love to write and I kind of started this last year, so don't fret! I bet you're doing fine!!! In fact, I bet you're doing better than fine. There is no word limit remember, and it is quality over quantity! You just can't exceed 3500 words! Have faith and I'm sure you'll do great!
Whoah!! Powerhouse!!
That's amazing. This time last year I probably had 2000 words of utter crap. Sheer bullshit.
I guess the idea is to keep writing, and even if you think it's not up to scratch, everything can be revised.
But keep all your drafts... keep ALL your drafts, no matter how tedious it might seem - you might be kicking yourself in the future because you can't remember that killer verse which you wrote a few months ago.

The total word limit is 5000, while you're not physically allowed more than 4000 words, it's probably best to get as close to the limit as possible, unless of course, you're the next Milton.

Khypheneight

HSC
Thanks. Yeah... I think the absolute limit is 5000 but that includes the Reflection statement... so we're talking roughly 1000-1500 for the reflection statement and 3500 to 4000 for the actual poetry... I still have a lot of work to do, all this editing!!! I really don't like to edit my work, cuz half the time you can't get back into the mood you were in when you first wrote the piece, so it changes the poem completely... that's why I only edit certain stanzas or word choices...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)